Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kat Kat is offline

Default How to insert * to mean "jump to"

I want to have an asterisk (*) after each heading in a template so that I can
use a function key to "jump to" the * after each template heading
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

You could bookmark the asterisks and then jump to them; but easier to jump
to the heading itself, since Word provides the functionality for that
automatically. How does the asterisk help you?

"kat" wrote in message
I want to have an asterisk (*) after each heading in a template so that I
can
use a function key to "jump to" the * after each template heading

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kat Kat is offline

Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to bookmark the asterisks either. I
cannot find any instructions as to how to do so. I do not know how to jump
to the headiing itself either, other than by arrowing down and tabbing. I
have researched every book and item on the Net for "fields" and how to do
this and they assume that you know what to choose after you get to "field".
My situation is this:
FIRST HEADING:

SECOND HEADING:

THIRD HEADING:

etc.
these headings are always on the template and I want to be able to type
several sentences after FIRST HEADING: and "jump" directly to two spaces
after SECOND HEADING and begin typing. As it is set up, the cursor may land
anywere from the beginning to the middle of the heading.

"kat" wrote in message
I want to have an asterisk (*) after each heading in a template so that I
can
use a function key to "jump to" the * after each template heading

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Edit goto heading?
or
Insert bookmark - give it a name eg MyHeading1

Edit goto bookmark

Use the browse buttons at the bottom right of the window to move up and
down.

"kat" wrote in message
I want to have an asterisk (*) after each heading in a template so
that I can
use a function key to "jump to" the * after each template heading

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

First of all, you need to use Word's built-in styles for the headings (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ngStyles.html). You
then have at least four options:

1. You can create a table of contents (TOC) at the beginning of your
document (see http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html). By
default, each entry will be hyperlinked to the corresponding heading.

2. You can use Edit | Go To (Ctrl+G) to go to a Heading.

3. You can use the browse arrows at the bottom of the vertical scroll bar to
jump from one heading to another after choosing Heading as the browse object
(click on the button between the arrows to open the Select Browse Object
palette).

4. All built-in headings have built in bookmarks, so you can, anywhere in
your document, create either a hyperlink (Insert | Hyperlink) or a
hyperlinked cross-reference (Insert | Reference | Cross-reference) to any
heading.

"kat" wrote in message
I want to have an asterisk (*) after each heading in a template so that I
can
use a function key to "jump to" the * after each template heading

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kat Kat is offline

I will try #2 suggestion as that may be the best/easiest for my purposes.
Thank you so much for your help.

"kat" wrote in message
I want to have an asterisk (*) after each heading in a template so that I
can
use a function key to "jump to" the * after each template heading

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Darren Darren is offline

Jezebel wrote:
Clueless is right. Offensively so, in this case. Do you understand what the
'Help' menu is for?

Aren't you the pot calling the kettle black with the "Do you understand
what the
'Help' menu is for?" remark? There are people that are totally
unfamiliar with technology; it is only with the wonderful and patient
help of some of the fine MVPs in the various Microsoft newsgroups that
people learn how to use Word (and other Office applications).

No wonder people new to computers sometimes get put off by the
spectacle of it all.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Not at all (even allowing for your inappropriate metaphor). It is reasonable
to expect people to make *some* effort to understand the product they are
using. The OP got a simple answer from Graham and threw it back as too hard
to understand.

The seriously sad spectacle is the benighted sods who expect to be spoon-fed
every inch of the way, as an alternative to thinking. You don't have to look
very far at the world around us today to see the obscene consequences of
that approach.

"Darren" wrote in message
oups.com...