Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Panik Panik is offline

Default Create a tabbed document ?

Is there anyway to create a single file document that uses Tabs to break up
sections, just like you can have separate sheets in a workbook for excel?

For example:

I am writing a story and would like to have a separate work sheet for Plot,
Characters and Background info all in the same file but on seperate
Tabs/Pages.

Is there a way of doing this with out having to create separate files?

Thanks,

Panik

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The closest you can get to this in Word is to use Heading 1 for Plot,
Characters, Background, etc. Format Heading 1 as "Page break before," if you
like, so that each "tab" will start on a new page. Then display the Document
Map, which will display your headings and allow you to click on the one you
want to go to.

Alternatively, if you haven't tried OneNote, you might find it more useful
for your purposes.

"Panik" wrote in message
Is there anyway to create a single file document that uses Tabs to break

up
sections, just like you can have separate sheets in a workbook for excel?

For example:

I am writing a story and would like to have a separate work sheet for

Plot,
Characters and Background info all in the same file but on seperate
Tabs/Pages.

Is there a way of doing this with out having to create separate files?

Thanks,

Panik

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Panik Panik is offline

Suzanne,

Thank you for your response.

The problem with the header idea is that thi is a work in progress and the
pages are constantly getting longer and sometimes shorter. I think I would
spend more time adjusting my format than actually writing .

I checked out OneNote, but I think it is way more than what I need but I
will take a closer look.

Thanks again for your help

"Panik" wrote in message
Is there anyway to create a single file document that uses Tabs to break

up
sections, just like you can have separate sheets in a workbook for excel?

For example:

I am writing a story and would like to have a separate work sheet for

Plot,
Characters and Background info all in the same file but on seperate
Tabs/Pages.

Is there a way of doing this with out having to create separate files?

Thanks,

Panik

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't see what difference it would make how long your pages are. You have
a heading at the top of a page that says "Plot." It is in Heading 1 style.
The text that follows that heading can run on for as many pages as you like.
On another page (if you like--it can also be on the same page if you
prefer), you have a heading "Background," also in Heading 1 style. These
headings will appear in the Document Map, and you can click on one to go to
the appropriate section. If you want to subdivide these sections, you can
add Heading 2 paragraphs. If you have a lot of heading levels, you may find
it convenient to work in Outline view; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The closest you can get to this in Word is to use Heading 1 for Plot,
Characters, Background, etc. Format Heading 1 as "Page break before," if

you
like, so that each "tab" will start on a new page. Then display the

Document
Map, which will display your headings and allow you to click on the one

you
want to go to.

Alternatively, if you haven't tried OneNote, you might find it more

useful
for your purposes.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.