Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TWC Analyst

Default How do I display Visio 2003 graphics in Word 2000 w XP upgrade?

Our company recently upgraded our O/S to XP in addition to software version
upgrades and now I've got a problem.

The original word document was initially created in Word2000 and a Visio org
chart was created using an unknown version. The O/S when these documents
were created was Windows2000. There was no problem in a simple copy/paste of
the Visio chart into the Word document. The document would display the Visio
chart.

A few days ago, we had an O/S upgrade to XP in addition to Word2003 and
Visio2003 upgrades. Creating a Visio2003 org chart, I now can't simply
copy/paste the Visio chart into the same Word document. It only displays a
large "U" shape at the bottom of the page. When printing, it will print OK,
but you have to use trial and error in placement on the page. The print
preview button also doesn't allow viewing for placement.

So, I don't know if it was the O/S upgrade that doesn't allow this, or the
fact that the original document was created in Word2000 and Word2003 is now
using it. I figured the Word document would be upward compatible.

As a test, I opened a new Word2003 document and had NO problem doing a
simple copy/paste of the org chart in question. It would display as in
previous versions of Word. That sort of points to a reverse compatibility
problem.

My workaround so far has been to enter a forced page break, give it a large
number of returns to expand the page, and insert the copy/paste function just
above the new page break. The "U" shape will appear but not display the
chart. Then by trial and error you can start deleting returns to bring the
chart up the page.

Does anyone else have this problem, or are there any better solutions? Two
co-workers have the same problem with their recent upgrades that worked
flawlessly prior to the upgrade.

I have users that will not print documents so on-line viewing of the Visio
charts are critical.

Thx-
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TWC Analyst

Solved part of the problem.....

If your Word paragraph height default is set to a constaining attribute such
as "Exactly", the Visio diagram simply won't fit. By changing the attribute
to "At Least", you allow the diagram to 'fill' the paragraph without being
constrained.

If after your copy/paste function you only see a tad bit of the diagram, run
the cursor out to the left margin across from the visible chart contents. Do
a left click to highlight the paragraph across the width of the page. Then
go to the Format - Paragraph - Indents and Spacing tab. Down at the
Spacing section, click "At Least" in the line spacing. That gives a minimum
value for the paragraph height.

Now one problem we have NOT been able to solve with this is we now don't
have the ability to drag and drop the Visio diagram around the page. That
too might be a formatting question about text wrap or alignment...

"TWC Analyst" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Anaylst,

If the paragraph line height is affecting the display of the inserted graphic then it is likely that the graphic is formatted as
'inline with text. Right click on the graphic to check and also look at your default paste/insert setting in Tools=Options=Edit
(an option menu item not available in Word 2000).

==

--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends

Pricing and Packages for '2007 Microsoft Office System'
http://microsoft.com/office/preview