Ellen

Default Indent a paragraph

Hello,

Let me try again.

I am manually writing a Table of Contents. One of the items in the list is
quite

lengthy. I'd like the entire caption to be indented under a number. For
instance:

2. Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak
Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak

Thanks in advance!!

Ellen
Stefan Blom

Set a hanging indent for the paragraph: On the Format menu, click
Paragraph. Click the Indents and Spacing tab. Under "Indentation",
choose "Hanging" for "Special", and then type the desired amount in the
"By" box. Click OK when you are done.

Specify the location for the page number: Choose FormatTabs and set a
right-aligned tab stop at the right margin.

Now you are ready to type your TOC. Start by typing the paragraph number
(2 in your example). Then press the TAB key and type the rest of the
text. Type TAB again to type the page number.

For long entries you may want to add a right indent to the paragraph to
make text wrap before it encounters the margin (where the page number
is). Use the Paragraph dialog box to set a right indent.

For example:

2. Text here. Text here. Text here.
Text here. Text here. Text here. #

Note that it would be a lot easier to have Word create the TOC for you.
See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ellen" wrote in message
Hello,

Let me try again.

I am manually writing a Table of Contents. One of the items in the

list is
quite

lengthy. I'd like the entire caption to be indented under a number.

For
instance:

2. Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak
Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak

Yak Yak

Thanks in advance!!

Ellen

Ellen

Thanks, Stefan. Oh, how easy!! Once you know how. As for doing the TOC by
hand, it seems it would be the easiest way as there's dot leaders that lead
to the page number after each list item. My TOC got messed up last time I
tried to add those dot leaders.

Bye!
Ellen

"Ellen" wrote in message
Hello,

Let me try again.

I am manually writing a Table of Contents. One of the items in the

list is
quite

lengthy. I'd like the entire caption to be indented under a number.

For
instance:

2. Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak
Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak

Yak Yak

Thanks in advance!!

Ellen

Stefan Blom

I'm glad I could help. However, you should be able to add leaders from
the Index and Tables dialog box. What went wrong?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP