Island Girl

Default cross-referencing

I need help in setting up headings that can be cross referenced. Each
heading will be, for example, Annex No. [number]-- Financial Disclosures ,
and each will be centered at the top of a new page.

How can I cross reference just the NUMBER in the heading without repeating
the text in the heading each time? I tried inserting a listnum field but
couldn't get rid of the trailing period following it. (The reason for not
wanting to repeat the text is that sometimes the cross-reference would say
"See Annexes 3 through 5."

Thanks for this and all of your help!

Jay Freedman

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:30:01 -0700, "Island Girl"
wrote:

I need help in setting up headings that can be cross referenced. Each
heading will be, for example, Annex No. [number]-- Financial Disclosures ,
and each will be centered at the top of a new page.

How can I cross reference just the NUMBER in the heading without repeating
the text in the heading each time? I tried inserting a listnum field but
couldn't get rid of the trailing period following it. (The reason for not
wanting to repeat the text is that sometimes the cross-reference would say
"See Annexes 3 through 5."

Thanks for this and all of your help!

Modify the heading styles to include numbering (Format Styles
Modify Format Numbering choose the "1, 2, 3" style Customize
type the "Annex" wording before the number in the Number Format box).

For the cross-reference, choose Insert Reference Cross-reference.
Select "Numbered items" and either "Paragraph number" or "Paragraph
number (no context)". Select the desired heading from the list and
click Insert. Note that at this point the cross-reference itself will
include the "Annex" wording. To suppress that, right-click on the
cross-reference and select Toggle Field Codes; you'll see something
like

{REF _Ref102483653 \r}
or
{REF _Ref102483653 \n}

After the \r or \n, insert \t so it looks like

{REF _Ref102483653 \r\t}
or
{REF _Ref102483653 \n\t}

Then press F9 to update the field.

I'd advise not to include the word "No." in the headings, because the
period won't be suppressed by the \t switch.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman