Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Dan is offline

Default Formatting poetry

I want to format stanzas of poetry, where each line of a stanza has a hard
return after it except the last line of the stanza. Sometimes I want to
indent the second and fourth lines of the stanza (for example), but when I
insert a tab at the beginning of the second line, all the lines of the stanza
indent rather than just the line with the tab. What am I doing wrong? Or how
can I accomplish what I want?

Here is an example stanza:

This is first line of my stanza,HARD RETURN
TABHere is the second,HARD RETURN
This is the third lineHARD RETURN
TABAnd here is the last.

Dan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Assuming Word 2002 or 2003, go to Tools | AutoCorrect Options | AutoFormat
As You Type and clear the box for "Set left- and first-indent with tabs and
backspaces."

Note also that it is generally a good idea to use line breaks (Shift+Enter)
at the ends of verses of poetry, with a paragraph break (Enter) only at the
end of the stanza. This has several advantages:

1. If you want to begin lines with a lowercase letter, Word won't insist on
capitalizing it for you.

2. Using basic "Widow/orphan control," you will guarantee that you will
always have at least two lines of the stanza/paragraph at the top or bottom
of a page.

3. If you want to keep the entire stanza from breaking across pages, you can
also check "Keep lines together" on the Line and Page Breaks tab of Format |
Paragraph.

4. By adding Space After to the paragraph style used for your stanzas, you
can insert a "blank line" between stanzas without having to use an empty
paragraph (which should always be avoided for a number of very good
reasons).

"Dan" wrote in message
I want to format stanzas of poetry, where each line of a stanza has a hard
return after it except the last line of the stanza. Sometimes I want to
indent the second and fourth lines of the stanza (for example), but when I
insert a tab at the beginning of the second line, all the lines of the

stanza
indent rather than just the line with the tab. What am I doing wrong? Or

how
can I accomplish what I want?

Here is an example stanza:

This is first line of my stanza,HARD RETURN
TABHere is the second,HARD RETURN
This is the third lineHARD RETURN
TABAnd here is the last.

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Dan is offline

Suzanne,

Thank you for your reply. I agree with all of your comments. That's exactly
how I format poetry paragraphs. I also am an advocate of using space
before/space after instead of inserting blank paragraphs.

I'm using Word 2000, and I don't seem to have the option that you described.
Is it there in some other place?

Dan

"Dan" wrote in message
I want to format stanzas of poetry, where each line of a stanza has a hard
return after it except the last line of the stanza. Sometimes I want to
indent the second and fourth lines of the stanza (for example), but when I
insert a tab at the beginning of the second line, all the lines of the

stanza
indent rather than just the line with the tab. What am I doing wrong? Or

how
can I accomplish what I want?

Here is an example stanza:

This is first line of my stanza,HARD RETURN
TABHere is the second,HARD RETURN
This is the third lineHARD RETURN
TABAnd here is the last.

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, that's why it's helpful to state what version you're using! Usually I
give the full information, but I took a shortcut and assumed Word 2002/2003.
In Word 2000 and earlier, the control is "Tabs and backspace set left
indent" on the Edit tab of Tools | Options. No idea why they moved it to an
entirely different dialog in Word 2002.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Dan" wrote in message
I want to format stanzas of poetry, where each line of a stanza has a

hard
return after it except the last line of the stanza. Sometimes I want

indent the second and fourth lines of the stanza (for example), but

when I
insert a tab at the beginning of the second line, all the lines of the

stanza
indent rather than just the line with the tab. What am I doing wrong?

Or
how
can I accomplish what I want?

Here is an example stanza:

This is first line of my stanza,HARD RETURN
TABHere is the second,HARD RETURN
This is the third lineHARD RETURN
TABAnd here is the last.

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Dan is offline

Suzanne,

That's it! That's just what I was looking for. Thanks very much for your help.

Dan