Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
EngrByDayPianstByNight EngrByDayPianstByNight is offline

Default How to carry user-defined fig./eq. labels in a MS word file toanother computer

Hi,

I wrote a paper using MSWord 2003 on my office computer, in which
I defined some figure, equation, and table labels (from Insert--
Caption--New Label). I then transferred the word file to a different

computer, and opened it to expect these defined labels to be there
(Insert--Cross Reference --(user-defined labels)). But they are not.
As a result, I had to re-define all these labels on the new computer.

Granted that the second computer has MSWord 2000, I don't think
different versions of MS Word is the culprit. Does anybody know what I
should do in the computer where I defined these figure/table/equation
labels so that when I work on a different computer, these user-defined
labels would come along?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi EngrByDayPianstByNight,

I wrote a paper using MSWord 2003 on my office computer, in which
I defined some figure, equation, and table labels (from Insert--
Caption--New Label). I then transferred the word file to a different

computer, and opened it to expect these defined labels to be there
(Insert--Cross Reference --(user-defined labels)). But they are not.
As a result, I had to re-define all these labels on the new computer.

Granted that the second computer has MSWord 2000, I don't think
different versions of MS Word is the culprit. Does anybody know what I
should do in the computer where I defined these figure/table/equation
labels so that when I work on a different computer, these user-defined
labels would come along?

Unfortunately, such labels aren't stored in the document (or its
template), so they don't go with the document. As I recall, they're
stored in the Normal.dot template. Whether it would be feasible for you
to move the Normal.dot to a different computer with an *older* version
of Word is questionable.

Best would probably be to save a macro in your document that can
recreate the labels for you.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org