Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim Tim is offline

Default Opening Word 2007 (docx) in non MS Vista OS's

Is there a way to set all Word documents that I create in Vista to a default
..doc format. I am aware of the "Save as" option that allow you to save the
document as a Word 97-2003 document, in the .doc format - but do you need to
go through this manual process every time . The Vista Word 2007 default
format setting is .docx, which when sent an attachment cannot be read by
systems other than those running Vista.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

Vista and Office have nothing to do with each other. Vista itself can't
open docx files, that's Word 2007's doing. So if the recipient has Word
2007 or uses an older version with the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack
then they can open docx file, no matter whether Vista or XP.
You can set the default file format in Word 2007 via Office button menu,
Word Options, Save, and set Save files in this format to Word 97-2003
(doc).

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Tim" wrote in message
:

Is there a way to set all Word documents that I create in Vista to a default
.doc format. I am aware of the "Save as" option that allow you to save the
document as a Word 97-2003 document, in the .doc format - but do you need to
go through this manual process every time . The Vista Word 2007 default
format setting is .docx, which when sent an attachment cannot be read by
systems other than those running Vista.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I think you're looking for the default Save As option. Click the Microsoft
Office Button and then click Word Options. Click Save and then in the Save
Files In This Format list, select Word 97-2003 (*.doc).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Tim" wrote in message
Is there a way to set all Word documents that I create in Vista to a
default
.doc format. I am aware of the "Save as" option that allow you to save the
document as a Word 97-2003 document, in the .doc format - but do you need
go through this manual process every time . The Vista Word 2007 default
format setting is .docx, which when sent an attachment cannot be read by
systems other than those running Vista.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim Tim is offline

Patrick,

Many thanks for the quick response!!! Followed your instructions and it
worked great.

Tim

: