Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
redpencilgirl

Default Track Changes Privacy Suggestion -- Make Date/Time Stamp Optional!

In Word 2002 for Windows XP (and apparently in other newer versions of Word
as well), rolling the mouse over a Track Changes balloon turns up the name of
the person who made the change or comment, along with the date and time the
change or comment was made. Currently I can choose the privacy option
"Remove personal information from file properties on save" and have my name
replaced with the anonymous term "author" -- however, I cannot opt to remove
the date and time. I believe that information about date and time is
personal, too, and I feel strongly that I should have the option to take it
out.

Here is the situation: I am a freelance editor, and my clients would like
me to make my changes using the Track Changes option instead of the
old-fashioned way (on paper with a red pencil). I don't mind helping them
out that way -- I'm all for going electronic whenever possible -- but I DO
mind that the electronic document will suddenly provide them with information
that was never available to them in the paper version: for example, that I
often work late into the night, or that I often change my mind about a
correction I have made and go back later to revise it. As long as I make my
deadlines, my clients do not need to know when I made my changes and comments
-- they only need to know that the changes and comments have been made.

Please help...thanks!

click "I Agree" in the message pane.