Carol

Default MULTIPLE INSTANCES OF THE SAME BOOKMARK IN A USER FORM

I have a legal document that I am creating a user form for such that, when
the template is opened, a dialog box appears and the user can fill in the
variables and then the document is populated with that information. I am
using Bookmarks in this regard, however, one of the bookmarks appears in
numerous places within the document and when I add the bookmark to the second
place it disappears from the first place, etc. My question is how do I
resolve this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
advance.
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:03:02 -0800, "Carol"
wrote:

I have a legal document that I am creating a user form for such that, when
the template is opened, a dialog box appears and the user can fill in the
variables and then the document is populated with that information. I am
using Bookmarks in this regard, however, one of the bookmarks appears in
numerous places within the document and when I add the bookmark to the second
place it disappears from the first place, etc. My question is how do I
resolve this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

You can use any bookmark name only once per document, as you found
out. In all the otoher places, insert REF fields (Insert Field,
select REF from the list) that refer to the bookmark. The fields will
repeat the contents of the bookmark. You'll need to update the fields
after filling in the bookmark -- most easily by going to Print Preview
and back.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Carol

Thanks for your help, but I guess I'm being obtuse. I have inserted fields
and selected Ref and selected the bookmark I want it to refer to but I'm
still only getting the field showing. Is there perhaps another way of
updating this template? Thanks again.

wrote:

[...]

Jay Freedman

If you mean that you're seeing something like

{ REF bookmarkname }

in the document, press Alt+F9 to toggle from field codes to field
results (or go to Tools Options View and uncheck "Field codes"
which does the same thing).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

[...]

Carol

Hello Jay,

Yes, I did toggle the field codes and all it shows is the field code. When I
use Alt +F9, it shows nothing else. I'm sure it's something very simple that
I'm just not getting. Thanks for your help.

wrote:

[...]

Carol

I have a legal document that I am using to teach myself how to create user
forms with dialog boxes to fill in the variables to populate the document.
One of the variables is the word Decedent. This particular variable show up
in multiple places in the document. For the first instance I add a bookmark
and for all subsequent instances I click on Insert | Field and select ref and
click on the bookmark that I want it to reference. I guess the part that I'm
seemingly fouling up is this: Once I have done that in the template do I use
Alt+F9 to update each time I create a reference or do I do that after I have
completed the entire document? I am having several problems, but I would like
to resolve this one first and then move on to the next step. I do appreciate
all of your help. Thanks again.

wrote:

[...]

You can insert the cross-references using Insert | Reference |
Cross-reference. You need to check the "Calculate on exit" box in the Form
Field Options for the form field. When the document is protected, the
cross-references will update automatically when the Decedent field is filled
in.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you insert the braces using Ctrl+F9?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote:

[...]

Jay Freedman

And to answer your question about Alt+F9:

- It's a toggle; every time you press Alt+F9, it either displays the
field codes if the field results are showing, or it displays the field
results if the field codes are showing. Press it twice and you're back
where you started.

- Alt+F9 by itself does not update the fields. That function is
performed by F9 (without the Alt) for any fields that are currently
selected; or by printing or going into Print Preview (assuming the
"Update fields" option is checked in the Tools Options Print
dialog); or, as Suzanne said, by having "Calculate on exit" checked
for a form field in a protected form when that form field is the
source for the Ref field.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

[...]

Carol

Thanks for all the input. This is not a protected form but, rather, a
template that I am configuring so that when it is selected, a dialog box
(user form) will pop up to fill in the variables needed for the document to
be complete. I am going start over from scratch today and will report on my
success/failure. Thanks again!

wrote:

[...]

Carol

I started from scratch with the document. In the spots where I wanted the
different variables, I clicked on Insert | Bookmark and then typed in the
name and clicked on Add. Where a variable was used more than once I clicked
on Insert | Fields and Ref and clicked ont he Bookmark that it pointed to.
Then I went to the Visual Basic Editor and inserted the User Form and added
labels and textboxes for all of the bookmarks. I then added a command button
and named it ok. After that I right-clicked on the command button and chose
View Code. Once there, in between "Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()" and
"End Sub," I typed:

With ActiveDocument
..Bookmarks("Decedent").Range _
..InsertBefore TextBox1
..Bookmarks("Venue").Range _
..InsertBefore TextBox2
..Bookmarks("Estate Number").Range _
InsertBefore TextBox3
..Bookmarks("Personal Representative").Range _
..InsertBefore TextBox4
..Bookmarks(Date of Death").Range _
..InsertBefore TextBox5

End With
Userform1.Hide

Ok, then I used Alt+Q to go back to Word and I saved the template and then I
created a macro in that template called AutoNew which essentially said
UserForm1.Show.

So then I saved it and closed it and went to File, New, From my Computer and
selected it and the dialog box popped up and I filled in all the variables
and clicked on the button and it just keeps telling me "Runtime error 5941.
Teh requested member of the collection does not exist. I have to tell you -
it's making me crazy!

Any suggestions you might have would be extremely welcome at this point.
Thanks again.

wrote:

[...]

Jay Freedman

Hi Carol,

You're getting there... but you have to exactly match the names of the
bookmarks in the code. Since spaces aren't legal in bookmark names, I can
tell right away some of them are wrong. Look at the names in the list when
you bring up the Insert Bookmark dialog, and make the names in the code
*exactly* the same.

There's another complication with the way you userform is putting the text
in the document. When you use the .InsertBefore command, the text goes
*before* the bookmark, not *in* the bookmark. So when you do get the
userform to finish without errors, the Ref fields won't have anything to
show because the bookmarks themselves will be empty. The proper code for
this is shown he
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...AtBookmark.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

[...]

Carol

Hi Jay,

I stepped through the code and had just about decided that the problem was
just what you said because the error popped up at the two separate words. So
now I have fixed the bookmarks and the code so that they are the same and
they do indeed fall in right where they should, but the ref fields are not
working and as you have seen, I am very new to this aspect of word, and even
after reading the article that you sent to me, I am still very unsure as to
how I should write the code for the ref fields. I guess the problem is that
I don't understand how using InsertBefore only screws up the ref fields and
not the actual bookmarks.

Also, reading the article is a bit difficult for me because I don't
understand what Dim BMRange means. Are there any articles or tutorials that
can help me with this? Or could you tell me how to do one so that I can go
from there?

I so appreciate your's and Suzanne's help!

wrote:

[...]

Jay Freedman

Hi Carol,

There are a lot of interrelated things going on in your document and
its code, and it's a hard to cover them all at one go. Still, let's
try to cover them one at at time.

1. A bookmark is just a name for a location in the document. It
doesn't have any active properties -- it can't make things happen.
Fields like the Ref field can do things, and macros/userforms are all
about doing things, but bookmarks just lie there. Think of bookmarks
and text as nouns, and macros/userforms and some fields as verbs.

So the userform code uses the bookmark as a location to stuff some
text into the document. Other than the text appearing there, *nothing*
happens. The Ref fields don't find out about the new text unless you
somehow tell them to update themselves (here, "update" means "make a
copy of the bookmark's contents and display that copy at the Ref
field's location"). A few responses ago, I said that F9 updates
fields, and so does printing or going to Print Preview. One other
thing that can cause an update is to put this line of code in your
userform's CommandButton1_Click() procedure, just before the Hide
statement:

ActiveDocument.Fields.Update

[Everything in Word is complicated. In this case, the complication is
that the line of code only updates fields in the body of the document,
not in headers, footers, or textboxes. I'll assume for now that this
doesn't make any difference in your document.]

2. Now we come to the difference between using the .InsertBefore
method and using the approach in the article I recommended. This is
completely unintuitive, even to me. As I said, a bookmark is just a
named location in the text. It can cover one or more characters, or it
can be collapsed to a single point between characters, and it behaves
differently depending on which it is.

If the bookmark is collapsed to a point (because you had nothing
selected when you created it), then the .InsertBefore method will
insert new text *after* the bookmark, *outside* it. (I think this
behavior is a VBA bug -- the new text should go before the bookmark.)
The bookmark will remain empty. If a Ref field points to that
bookmark, then updating the field will cause it to display nothing --
because that's what's inside the bookmark, nothing.

If the bookmark covers one or more characters (which could be spaces),
then the .InsertBefore method inserts the new text inside the bookmark
before the existing contents. This is the only case in which it does
what you expect. Afterward, updating the Ref field that points to the
bookmark will show a copy of the bookmark's contents, including both
the new text and the old contents. This works ok as long as you only
insert new text once. Try it again and you get *both* sets of text in
the bookmark, and *both* sets reflected in the Ref field.

The method shown in the InsertingTextAtBookmark.htm article --
assigning the new text to the range of the bookmark, and then
re-inserting the bookmark to cover the inserted text -- gives you
exactly what you need, predictably and with the ability to use the
same bookmark again.

3. The expression "Dim BMRange As Range" tells VBA that you're going
to use a variable named BMRange, and that it's going to represent a
range -- that is, a particular piece of the document. (The "Dim" is
short for "Dimension" and is a leftover from much older programming
languages.)

After that, the statement that begins with "Set BMRange =" finds the
range that corresponds to the named bookmark, and assigns that range
to the variable BMRange. That way you'll be able to use the variable
to re-insert the bookmark later.

The code you showed earlier needs to be rewritten like this. Notice
that the variable BMRange can be re-used to point to different ranges
at different times during the execution of the code.

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim BMRange As Range

With ActiveDocument
Set BMRange = .Bookmarks("Decedent").Range
BMRange.Text = TextBox1
.Bookmarks.Add "Decedent", BMRange

Set BMRange = .Bookmarks("Venue").Range
BMRange.Text = TextBox2
.Bookmarks.Add "Venue", BMRange

Set BMRange = .Bookmarks("EstateNumber").Range
BMRange.Text = TextBox3
.Bookmarks.Add "EstateNumber", BMRange

Set BMRange = .Bookmarks("PersonalRepresentative").Range
BMRange.Text = TextBox4
.Bookmarks.Add "PersonalRepresentative", BMRange

Set BMRange = .Bookmarks("DateOfDeath").Range
BMRange.Text = TextBox5
.Bookmarks.Add "DateOfDeath", BMRange

End With

ActiveDocument.Fields.Update

UserForm1.Hide
End Sub

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

And to answer your question about Alt+F9:

- It's a toggle; every time you press Alt+F9, it either displays the
field codes if the field results are showing, or it displays the
field results if the field codes are showing. Press it twice and
you're back where you started.

- Alt+F9 by itself does not update the fields. That function is
performed by F9 (without the Alt) for any fields that are currently
selected; or by printing or going into Print Preview (assuming the
"Update fields" option is checked in the Tools Options Print
dialog); or, as Suzanne said, by having "Calculate on exit" checked
for a form field in a protected form when that form field is the
source for the Ref field.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Carol

Wow! Thanks Jay! Now it's all starting to make a little more sense to me. I
Wow Jay! It's starting to make a little more sense to me now. Thank you so
much!
I will try what you said and let you know how it goes. I'm glad that you said
it wasn't intuitive to you either. I guess that's what I'm looking for -
some kind of book or tutorial that will make it more intuitive for me so that
I can look at the document I want to code and will readily know...oh...I want
to use that code. I suppose it all comes with time and practice eh? If you
know of any user friendly books, please let me know. I just recently
purchased "Writing Word Macros" and that is a help. I'll let you know
tomorrow how this works out for me. Again, many thanks.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

And to answer your question about Alt+F9:

- It's a toggle; every time you press Alt+F9, it either displays the
field codes if the field results are showing, or it displays the
field results if the field codes are showing. Press it twice and
you're back where you started.

- Alt+F9 by itself does not update the fields. That function is
performed by F9 (without the Alt) for any fields that are currently
selected; or by printing or going into Print Preview (assuming the
"Update fields" option is checked in the Tools Options Print
dialog); or, as Suzanne said, by having "Calculate on exit" checked
for a form field in a protected form when that form field is the
source for the Ref field.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Carol

Hello Jay,

I redid my template this morning and received another error and so I
scrapped it and started anew and lo and behold, it's working perfectly.

So now that I have managed to make this thing work at last I am emboldened
to try yet a different step. I now want to add a clear and a cancel button to
my user form. So this is my seminal stab at coding it:

Private Sub cmdClear_Click()
BMRange.Text = TextBox1 = True
TextDecedent.Value = Null

How far off am I? And I'd still like to know if you could steer me toward a
good user-friendly book.

Thanks ever so much for your help!

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

And to answer your question about Alt+F9:

- It's a toggle; every time you press Alt+F9, it either displays the
field codes if the field results are showing, or it displays the
field results if the field codes are showing. Press it twice and
you're back where you started.

- Alt+F9 by itself does not update the fields. That function is
performed by F9 (without the Alt) for any fields that are currently
selected; or by printing or going into Print Preview (assuming the
"Update fields" option is checked in the Tools Options Print
dialog); or, as Suzanne said, by having "Calculate on exit" checked
for a form field in a protected form when that form field is the
source for the Ref field.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jay Freedman

Hi Carol,

How far off are you? Wellll... pretty far, unfortunately.

First establish what you want to happen when the user clicks the Clear
button. Should all the textboxes on the userform and all the contents of the
bookmarks in the document be set to nothing? (It doesn't make sense to me to
clear only one pair.) Or would it be sufficient to clear only the userform's
boxes, and assume that the user will eventually fill them and click OK, and
the document's bookmarks get refilled then? I'll assume the first choice for
now.

One fact you need is that in VBA there is something known as an empty
string, and it's represented by a pair of double quotes with nothing between
them: "" [This is not the same thing as Null, which the help defines as "A
value indicating that a variable contains no valid data."] You clear a
textbox by setting its text to an empty string, and the same for a bookmark
but then you need to re-insert the bookmark.

Except for clearing the textboxes, the code for the Clear button would be a
lot like that for the OK button, like this (I've only shown the first two
textbox/bookmark pairs, and you need to add all the others):

Private Sub cmdClear_Click()
Dim BMRange As Range

With ActiveDocument
TextBox1.Text = ""
Set BMRange = .Bookmarks("Decedent").Range
BMRange.Text = ""
.Bookmarks.Add "Decedent", BMRange

TextBox2.Text = ""
Set BMRange = .Bookmarks("Venue").Range
BMRange.Text = ""
.Bookmarks.Add "Venue", BMRange

' more here....
End With

ActiveDocument.Fields.Update

End Sub

Notice that, unlike the CommandButton1_Click() we discussed before, you
don't put a Userform1.Hide statement in this procedure because you want the
userform to stay on screen to be filled out.

I don't really have much advice about VBA books. You said you bought
"Writing Word Macros", and that's better than most, but the field is pretty
limited.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Carol wrote:
Hello Jay,

I redid my template this morning and received another error and so I
scrapped it and started anew and lo and behold, it's working
perfectly.

So now that I have managed to make this thing work at last I am
emboldened to try yet a different step. I now want to add a clear and
a cancel button to my user form. So this is my seminal stab at coding
it:

Private Sub cmdClear_Click()
BMRange.Text = TextBox1 = True
TextDecedent.Value = Null

How far off am I? And I'd still like to know if you could steer me
toward a good user-friendly book.

Thanks ever so much for your help!

Carol

Thanks Jay. I do appreciate the time that you have taken to help me with this
endeavor. I have seen that the field is pretty limited insofar as books go,
but there must be a way to learn this without pestering the folks who already
know it. Where would I find the VBA language and it's meanings? There must
be some documentation somewhere. It all makes sense after you explain it to
me. I suppose it's like anything else then; trial and error and the more you
practice, the better you get? Please feel free to send me any helpful
information at . Thanks again!

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

[...]

Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:
http://word.mvps.org

Carol wrote:
Hello Jay,

I redid my template this morning and received another error and so I
scrapped it and started anew and lo and behold, it's working
perfectly.

So now that I have managed to make this thing work at last I am
emboldened to try yet a different step. I now want to add a clear and
a cancel button to my user form. So this is my seminal stab at coding
it:

Private Sub cmdClear_Click()
BMRange.Text = TextBox1 = True
TextDecedent.Value = Null

How far off am I? And I'd still like to know if you could steer me
toward a good user-friendly book.

Thanks ever so much for your help!

Jay Freedman

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:59:06 -0800, "Carol"
wrote:

Thanks Jay. I do appreciate the time that you have taken to help me with this
endeavor. I have seen that the field is pretty limited insofar as books go,
but there must be a way to learn this without pestering the folks who already
know it. Where would I find the VBA language and it's meanings? There must
be some documentation somewhere. It all makes sense after you explain it to
me. I suppose it's like anything else then; trial and error and the more you
practice, the better you get? Please feel free to send me any helpful
information

The documentation for the VBA language is all in the Help topics. Type
any keyword in the VBA editor, put the cursor on it and press F1 to
get the help topic about that keyword. There are also some overview
articles, but they're a bit harder to find.

If you're away from your Word installation, you can find the complete
VBA reference for Word 2003 at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...HV01132015.asp
(for the parts common to all Office programs) and
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...HV01135786.asp
(for the parts specific to Word).

With some pride, allow me to point to the MVP site, particularly
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA.htm and the pages linked from it.

Finally, don't hesitate to ask questions here. That's what we're here
for.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Carol

Thank you again for all of your help. I always visit the MVP pages for help.
I'm aspiring to be an MVP someday! I'm sure I'll be posting more questions as
I go along. Thanks! You've been grand.

Carol

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jen Jen is offline

I just wanted to post a big "thank you" for this previous post...I was having
problems with my user form as well (spaces kept getting inserted after all
the cross-references) and Jay's code below fixed it. I had seen this code on
the MS website somewhere but wasn't exactly sure what to do with it...these
instructions were very helpful and now it works like a charm.

Thanks!