Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Marion G Marion G is offline

Default Problem centering long text in Word 2007

I have a landscape doc, left & right margins both 1.27cm. In it I have the
text "* if an item has failed testing, re-submit it to QA in Axosoft (or
equivalent) and a new entry created in this document with the same bug
details for re-testing at a later date". This text takes almost, but not
quite, the length of the line. I want the text to be centred, but when I do
so, it justifies it instead. If I take out several characters, it centres
correctly. If I add more words to take it over 2 lines, it centres the 2nd
line but justifies the 1st! If I use a centering tab it looks correct, but
that's inappropriate for multi-line paragraphs. Is this a bug? Anyone else
noticed it? Thanks guys, Marion.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Marion G Marion G is offline

Sorry, should've added that the text is Arial 10pt, for purposes of
reproducing the problem. I always forget something. *sigh*

"Marion G" wrote:

I have a landscape doc, left & right margins both 1.27cm. In it I have the
text "* if an item has failed testing, re-submit it to QA in Axosoft (or
equivalent) and a new entry created in this document with the same bug
details for re-testing at a later date". This text takes almost, but not
quite, the length of the line. I want the text to be centred, but when I do
so, it justifies it instead. If I take out several characters, it centres
correctly. If I add more words to take it over 2 lines, it centres the 2nd
line but justifies the 1st! If I use a centering tab it looks correct, but
that's inappropriate for multi-line paragraphs. Is this a bug? Anyone else
noticed it? Thanks guys, Marion.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Using your example (I assume A4 page size or the text runs over to two
lines) CTRL+E or selecting the centre button on the home tab centres the
line normally. Click the ¶ button on the home tab and see what extra
formatting you have that might be screwing things up.

"Marion G" wrote:

I have a landscape doc, left & right margins both 1.27cm. In it I
have the text "* if an item has failed testing, re-submit it to QA
in Axosoft (or equivalent) and a new entry created in this document
with the same bug details for re-testing at a later date". This text
takes almost, but not quite, the length of the line. I want the text
to be centred, but when I do so, it justifies it instead. If I take
out several characters, it centres correctly. If I add more words to
take it over 2 lines, it centres the 2nd line but justifies the 1st!
If I use a centering tab it looks correct, but that's inappropriate
for multi-line paragraphs. Is this a bug? Anyone else noticed it?
Thanks guys, Marion.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Marion G Marion G is offline

Hi Graham, we've tried all the different methods of centering, and they all
result in the same problem. My manager has created a sample document with
different text, showing how it looks with different alignment, and showing
very clearly that the supposedly centered text is actually justified. Is
there any way of attaching that document within the forum, or is there an
email addy I can send it to? Thanks heaps, Marion.

"Marion G" wrote:

I have a landscape doc, left & right margins both 1.27cm. In it I
have the text "* if an item has failed testing, re-submit it to QA
in Axosoft (or equivalent) and a new entry created in this document
with the same bug details for re-testing at a later date". This text
takes almost, but not quite, the length of the line. I want the text
to be centred, but when I do so, it justifies it instead. If I take
out several characters, it centres correctly. If I add more words to
take it over 2 lines, it centres the 2nd line but justifies the 1st!
If I use a centering tab it looks correct, but that's inappropriate
for multi-line paragraphs. Is this a bug? Anyone else noticed it?
Thanks guys, Marion.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Marion G Marion G is offline

Graham solved this beautifully - see his emails below:

EMAIL 1:-

Having experimented further it appears this display issue is related to the
display zoom setting

I have posted some examples on my web site. Both feature extracts from your
document, with the same printer driver in Word 2007 and 2003.

If you look at the image
http://www.gmayor.com/Extras/Centred_at_87_percent.jpg you can clearly see
the white spaces at the start and end of line 2 in the Word 2003 example but
not in the Word 2007 example.

In the versions http://www.gmayor.com/Extras/Centred_at_124_percent.jpg both
show the white space? The only thing that has changed is the zoom. Word is
not 100% wysiwyg in the print layout view.

EMAIL 2:-
Having consulted with colleagues, I have found a fix for the 2007 display
issue.

Word Options Advanced Display Optimize character positioning for
layout rather than readability.

Whether or not you attend to this, the document should display correctly in
Print Preview and also print correctly.