Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hilary

Default Excessively Confused: Why are TOC Considered "Headers?"

Very kind people on this group, knowledgeable as anyone can be. But I'm
stuck at Square One because I can't wrap my brain around Why WORD associates
a table of contents with a header (a thing which, IMO, a table of contents
has as much intrinsically in common as it does with a footer: i. e., nothing.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

The table of contents is associated with Headings, a type of paragraph, not
page headers.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Hilary" wrote in message
news
Very kind people on this group, knowledgeable as anyone can be. But I'm
stuck at Square One because I can't wrap my brain around Why WORD
associates
a table of contents with a header (a thing which, IMO, a table of contents
has as much intrinsically in common as it does with a footer: i. e.,
nothing.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Klaus Linke

news

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
The table of contents is associated with Headings, a type of paragraph,
not page headers.

A distinction that was lost on the German localization team, too.
At some time in the distant past, they translated the context menu for
"Headings" with "Kopfzeilen" (Headers), and we've been stuck with that.

? CommandBars("Headings").NameLocal
Kopfzeilen

Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hilary

(Thank you to Doug Robbins.)

I spent the better part of a splendid Memorial Day trying to create my first
"automatic" TOC. I copied a "hand-made" TOC to a New Document, then went
through the InsertTables and Fields [this is WORD 2000](rest of the stuff).

Each time I did this and tried to apply the template to my Pasted selection,
an error message in BOLD showed up saying basically "There is No Text to
Apply Formatting To" (or something to that affect.

If you could tell me what I did wrong, I would very much appreciate it. And
again, I'm asking for the titles of any hard-copy books or websites where
mastering the more complex and technical aspects of WORD are taught. I
Firefox-ed a page that literally calls itself "Complex Aspects of WORD," but
for my purposes, I would appreciate a book or interactive CD.

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

See:

How to create a table of contents in Microsoft Word
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Hilary" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hilary

I have gone to Ms. Kelly's page multiple times, but when I follow her
instructions about Selecting All text, then applying the Heading 1 (or 2, or
3) Style to it, all that happens is that the Font changes. No Table of
Contents appears.

In addition, I repeatedly get the BOLD error message *Error! No table of
contents entries found.*

This shouldn't be as difficult as it is, but thank you for taking the time
to respond.

"Hilary" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

Make sure that when you apply headings, you either have nothing
selected (so that you see the insertion point blinking) or you have
whole paragraphs selected; otherwise, Word won't apply the heading
styles but only their font formatting to text.

Also, if you inserted the TOC before applying heading styles, you have
to update the TOC. To do this, right-click the TOC and choose Update
Field. If prompted, make sure to update the entire table.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Hilary" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hilary

"Arcana for the sake of Arcana"--with apologies to you, Mr. Blom, to Ms.
Barnhill, and to the other gentleman who attempted to help...

I did exactly as you said. I Selected NOTHING and left the cursor blinking
at the head of the document. I then applied Heading 1 to the first entry
(line of text), then the second, third, fourth, etc. All that happened was
that the font changed.

However, I then went to InsertIndex and TablesEtc.... and applied a TOC.
The enlarged, engorged font remained, but a table of contents *did* generate,
right aligned, with the enlarged, engorged "Heading 1" entries repeated
beneath it.

I find this inexcusably and ridiculously convoluted. Maybe it's just me,
but that's how I feel. It's as if the authors of WORD wanted a "secret club"
only those with a LOT of free time or advanced experience (such as the MVP
designation) could use. Look! It's taken me three days simply to begin to
*approach* an answer I could implement by myself.

Again, thank you greatly for your time.

"Hilary" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

You need to apply the style to the entire paragraph, not line by line. To do
this, do not select text. Click in the paragraph to be changed and apply the
style. When you select text - other than the entire paragraph including the
hidden paragraph mark - and apply a paragraph style, all that is applied is
the character formatting, not the style or paragraph formatting.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Hilary" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

So you have a TOC now, but it isn't correctly formatted? Note that any
font formatting applied directly to headings (via toolbar buttons or
dialog boxes) will reflect in the table of contents. If you modify the
heading styles (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html) the way you
like them, then you won't have this problem.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Hilary" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hilary

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

You need to apply the style to the entire paragraph, not line by line. To do
this, do not select text. Click in the paragraph to be changed and apply the
style. When you select text - other than the entire paragraph including the
hidden paragraph mark - and apply a paragraph style, all that is applied is
the character formatting, not the style or paragraph formatting.

First, an (absurdly obvious, to non-MVPs!) question: How does one produce
"line by line" text if *not* by hitting the "Enter" (or "New Paragraph") key?
Second, why would the authors of WORD belabor--'cause WORD has been around
now for, oh, twenty years?--the difficulty of knowing which operation
requires that text be Selected, and which requires that it not be?

Mr. Kenyon, I am nothing but grateful to you and everyone else on this
thread; please don't construe my responses as signifying anything else.
Although self-taught, I took an introductory college course in WORD a few
years back, and even in its overly-elaborate and graphic-filled text and
interactive CD (whose bells and whistles were enough to distract even the
most dogged WORD student from what he/she wanted to master), there was no
discussion of those byzantine situations when text must be Selected in order
for a user to accomplish a particular task, and when a "Style" can be
"Applied" (oh, so vague) only when text is *not* selected.

In any event, I have yet to generate a simple TOC. IIRC, I am a Master's
Degree holder (English Literature).
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hilary

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

So you have a TOC now, but it isn't correctly formatted? Note that any
font formatting applied directly to headings (via toolbar buttons or
dialog boxes) will reflect in the table of contents. If you modify the
heading styles (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html) the way you
like them, then you won't have this problem.

Mr. Blom, you've been so kind and persistent in trying to help me, and--
Thank you. I do not find the Shauna Kelly site of any help, but again, thank
you. I take responsibility and (seriously) assume some intellectual deficit
in being unable to grasp the contents of Ms. Kelly's, and WORD "Help," and
much of what has been intended for my benefit in this thread.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

Word is an incredibly complex program. I'm afraid that is being ramped up to
a new level with Word 2007. I just got my first good look at that yesterday.
Like all of us, I am resistant to change.

Anyway, in Word 2002, they came up with letting people apply the formatting
from a style to selected text rather than applying the style to the
paragraph that contains the selected text. Apparently some big corporate
client wanted that "feature." Yes, it is confusing. Generally the books
don't cover it. I just checked and my page
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm did not. I've added that
information to my page.

It is covered in a sidebar on Shauna Kelly's site on the
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styles/ApplyAStyle.html page.
--

"Hilary" wrote in message
"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

May I try to go back to square one here? I haven't been following this
thread very carefully, but I sense that there may be some fundamental
misunderstanding about how the whole process works.

Let us assume that what you want is a document that has (among other
things).

1. A table of contents (TOC) that lists each heading in the document, at
least down to a certain level. As a bonus, each entry in the TOC will be
hyperlinked to the section in question.

2. A series of headings, each followed by body text.

That is, you have this:

TOC
Heading 1
Body Text
Heading 2
Body Text
Heading 2
Body Text
Heading 1
And so on (with perhaps some Heading 3s, etc.)

The TOC is the *last* thing you worry about. The first thing you do is set
up your document so that it contains the necessary headings and body text.
Although you can build a TOC based on any styles you like, it is much
simpler if you use Word's built-in heading styles for your heading
paragraphs. The basic requirement, however, is that you use a different
style for each heading level. That is, you use Heading 1 (or your custom
top-level heading style) for the highest heading level in the document; this
might be a part or section title but is most often a chapter title. You use
Heading 2 (or custom equivalent) for the main subheads within the section
that starts with Heading 1, Heading 3 for subheads within Heading 2
sections, etc.

You must apply a heading style to the paragraphs that will appear in the
TOC. You must apply body text styles to text you do not want to appear in
the TOC. (And in most cases, these must be separate paragraphs; that is, the
heading will end with a paragraph mark, and the body text will start a new
paragraph.) Whether you use the built-in styles or your own custom ones, you
define or modify the style to have the font and paragraph formatting you
prefer; you do NOT apply any of this formatting as direct formatting (except
in special cases such as italics for titles within headings).

When all of this is set up properly, you use Insert | Reference | Index and
Tables to insert a TOC at the appropriate place. If you have used Word's
built-in heading styles, you can just select the desired number of levels
and other settings and click OK. If you've used custom styles (unless you've
assigned heading outline levels to them), you'll have to click Options and
type the appropriate numbers in the spaces for those styles.

If you want your TOC to have formatting other than the plain vanilla 12-pt
TNR with progressive indents, you'll also need to click Modify and modify
the TOC styles accordingly (you can also do this after inserting the TOC,
though it can be more involved).

If you have done all this correctly, you should have a TOC that includes all
your headings (and nothing more), the formatting of the TOC entries will
reflect the TOC styles and not your heading styles, and at least the page
number (and in some cases, depending on your settings, the entire TOC entry)
will be linked to the corresponding heading in the document.