Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
glitterbug99 glitterbug99 is offline

Default can I apply a "return to top" hyperlink to all pages in a doc?

I'm working with a long Word document, and want to put a "return to top"
hyperlink onto every page. I've tried putting it in a footer, but as it's
then in the background, it can't be clicked on. Is there any other way of
repeating text in the same place on every page? I'm in Word 2002. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Word is an application for *creating* documents. It is not at its best as a
method for displaying them on them screen. You could create a macro that
takes you to any point in the document, and assign that to a single
keystroke; but why not just drag the scrollbar to the top?

"glitterbug99" wrote in message
I'm working with a long Word document, and want to put a "return to top"
hyperlink onto every page. I've tried putting it in a footer, but as it's
then in the background, it can't be clicked on. Is there any other way of
repeating text in the same place on every page? I'm in Word 2002. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
glitterbug99 glitterbug99 is offline

It's quite a long document and is a training guide to be circulated to a
large number of users - I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for them to
get back to the contents screen. Thanks though.

"Jezebel" wrote:

Word is an application for *creating* documents. It is not at its best as a
method for displaying them on them screen. You could create a macro that
takes you to any point in the document, and assign that to a single
keystroke; but why not just drag the scrollbar to the top?

"glitterbug99" wrote in message
I'm working with a long Word document, and want to put a "return to top"
hyperlink onto every page. I've tried putting it in a footer, but as it's
then in the background, it can't be clicked on. Is there any other way of
repeating text in the same place on every page? I'm in Word 2002. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Perhaps you could insert a hyperlink at "key points" of the document,
for example, at the end of each chapter or section? This is not
exactly what you are looking for, but it would certainly help people
who read the document on screen.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jezebel" wrote:

Word is an application for *creating* documents. It is not at its

best as a
method for displaying them on them screen. You could create a

macro that
takes you to any point in the document, and assign that to a

single
keystroke; but why not just drag the scrollbar to the top?

"glitterbug99" wrote in

message
I'm working with a long Word document, and want to put a "return

to top"
hyperlink onto every page. I've tried putting it in a footer,

but as it's
then in the background, it can't be clicked on. Is there any

other way of
repeating text in the same place on every page? I'm in Word

2002. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome. However, note that if you are using Word's built-in
heading styles to format the chapter and section titles, and if you
are creating the PDF with Adobe Acrobat (don't know how other PDF
software works), links should be added to the Bookmarks window which
can then be used for navigation.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jezebel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Acrobat provides the bookmark pane precisely so you DON'T have to cludge up
your pages with superfluous navigation stuff. Don;t reinvent the axle.