Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Conte Conte is offline

Default How to stop automatic date completion?

When I write "2007" and then push the button "Enter", Word 2007 adds
automatically month and day. How can I stop this behaviour?
Someone has suggested to add "shift" when I type "enter". But why I have
to be forced to remember that I must hold the button "shift", whenever I
type "2007" and "Enter"?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rae Drysdale Rae Drysdale is offline

Insert | AutoText, and then click AutoText. Clear the Show AutoComplete
suggestions check box.
--
Rae Drysdale

"Conte" wrote:

When I write "2007" and then push the button "Enter", Word 2007 adds
automatically month and day. How can I stop this behaviour?
Someone has suggested to add "shift" when I type "enter". But why I have
to be forced to remember that I must hold the button "shift", whenever I
type "2007" and "Enter"?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

Try
Office Button
Word Options
Proofing
AutoCorrect Options
Uncheck "Show AutoCorrect Options" box

Hope this helps?

"Conte" wrote in message
When I write "2007" and then push the button "Enter", Word 2007 adds
automatically month and day. How can I stop this behaviour?
Someone has suggested to add "shift" when I type "enter". But why I have
to be forced to remember that I must hold the button "shift", whenever I
type "2007" and "Enter"?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Conte Conte is offline

Rae Drysdale ha scritto:
Insert | AutoText, and then click AutoText. Clear the Show AutoComplete
suggestions check box.

Do you refer to Word 2007?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Conte Conte is offline

Summer ha scritto:
Try
Office Button
Word Options
Proofing
AutoCorrect Options
Uncheck "Show AutoCorrect Options" box

Hope this helps?

Unfortunately it doesn't work. It seems not to be an autocorrect option.
It works whenever I type the four digits of the current year and then
push "Enter". It seems that I can avoid it only by typing something else
(Shift, Esc, space). But I wonder why microsoft creates programs more
and more automatic, less and less flexible, leaving to the user less and
less freedom, forcing the user to do what they want to do.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

Here is some info from Herb Tyson on how to solve your "Autocomplete"

It is in this newsgroup but I've pasted it for you - excuse the format
(start at the bottom):

Reinstalling, alas, doesn't fix settings issue, because setup is "trained"
to preserve existing settings.

The other possibility is that date AutoComplete has been turned off--though,
how, I can't imagine, unless you've been running rogue macros willy-nilly,
which seems unlikely, or that your Data key in the registry is corrupted,
which seems rather more likely.

To turn AutoComplete for dates on (assuming it's turned off), you'd need to
run a simple macro:

Sub TurnOffAutoComplete()
Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips = True
End Sub

(See
http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com/2...-in-word-2007/
for details).

If that doesn't do it, then try deleting or renaming the Data key, as
described he

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm

You're looking for this (close all running instances of winword.exe first):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\Data

When you delete or rename it, Word will automatically create a new Data key
the next time Word is started.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Lynn G" wrote in message
Well it does work in safe mode, so I tried recreating normal.dotm and
reinstalling but it still doesn't work - any other thoughts?
--
Lynn G

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

AutoComplete of dates should still be working in Word 2007 (AutoComplete
of
AutoText entries, on the other hand, has been disabled).

If it's not working in documents created in Word 2007, then it could just
be
a matter of Word being ornery. The only way to turn off date AutoComplete
in
Word 2007 is using a macro
(http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com/2...in-word-2007/),
and I suppose a registry glitch could make Word 2007 think that it's
turned
off... except for the fact that it's working in documents created in
earlier
versions of Word.

It's working for me in all documents. What happens if you start Word in
safe
mode (hold down Ctrl as Word is starting, and click Yes to starting in
safe
mode)? Does it work now? If so, then it might be a registry glitch or a
problem with normal.dotm.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Lynn G" wrote in message
Since installing Word 2007 I can no longer start typing the date and
have
it
automatically inserted for me, which was a very useful feature in
previous
versions and by all accounts should be included in this version.
However,
this feature still works in documents created in Word 2003 or earlier
versions? Is there a setting for this feature that I've missed ... it
was
always automatic before.
--
Lynn G

"Conte" wrote in message
Rae Drysdale ha scritto:
Insert | AutoText, and then click AutoText. Clear the Show AutoComplete
suggestions check box.

Do you refer to Word 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

Yes, a space. But I delete all AutoCorrect entries and use my own and I
don't have the date problem.

"Conte" wrote in message
Summer ha scritto:
Try
Office Button
Word Options
Proofing
AutoCorrect Options
Uncheck "Show AutoCorrect Options" box

Hope this helps?

Unfortunately it doesn't work. It seems not to be an autocorrect option.
It works whenever I type the four digits of the current year and then push
"Enter". It seems that I can avoid it only by typing something else
(Shift, Esc, space). But I wonder why microsoft creates programs more and
more automatic, less and less flexible, leaving to the user less and less
freedom, forcing the user to do what they want to do.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Conte Conte is offline

Sub TurnOffAutoComplete()
Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips = True
End Sub

This has solved the problem. Thank you very much.