tchr2b

Default How do I create template in word?

I want to create a template to work off of for a project. I saved my
"template" document under templates but it is not functioning as a true
template. I would like to be able to type in the template without disrupting
the placement or layout. Any advise?
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:04:02 -0700, tchr2b
wrote:

I want to create a template to work off of for a project. I saved my
"template" document under templates but it is not functioning as a true
template. I would like to be able to type in the template without disrupting
the placement or layout. Any advise?

Save the document again, but this time change the "Save as type" box
at the bottom of the Save As dialog to say "Document Template (*.dot)"
before clicking OK. The dialog will automatically switch to the
templates folder.

When you talk about "disrupting the placement or layout", do you mean
you want places to type into, surrounded by unchanging text? Word
refers to that as a protected form. See this article to get started:
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Graham Mayor

Whether or not your template will allow you to enter text in documents
created from it without disturbing the layout will rather depend on how you
have prepared your template, about which you have told us nothing.

tchr2b wrote:
I want to create a template to work off of for a project. I saved my
"template" document under templates but it is not functioning as a
true template. I would like to be able to type in the template
without disrupting the placement or layout. Any advise?

Charles Kenyon

What you are talking about is what Word calls an "online form." Check this
in help. For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

For more on the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog,
and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.

Hope this helps,
--