Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Wilkinson Chris Wilkinson is offline

Default Organizing workgroup Templates

hi,

(WORD 2003)

my company has 2 large divisions each with many departments, all of which
have their own Word templates (some within further sub directories). For the
sake of argument, let us say that all the enture companies templates are held
under H:\templates. When you do Filenew and choose "on my computer". The
dialog comes up with the builtin template folders a tabs as well as 2 tabs
for each of the divisions. Unfortunately, when you click on either of the
divisional tabs, every single template appears for all the departments
(ignoring the fact that they are in different folders for department). Is
there any way to make Word recognize the hierarchy of directories? Otherwise,
user have to wade through 100's of templates that in order to find the ones
for their department. Even if we went around each PC in the company and
pointed the workgroup Template file location to H:\templates\departmentname,
there are some departments that are hugh and have upto 50 sub-directories
each with up to 100s of templates in it. I know that Word can cope with
sub-directories within the template tabs because it shows them under the
"more.." tab if there are too many tabs. Can anyone think of a solution for
my problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have run out of ideas.

Thank you very much,
Chris