Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
OklahomaWriter OklahomaWriter is offline

Default How do I start numbering of front matter at page xvii?

Hello all,

I'm putting together a book manuscript on Word (2003) (XP Home), and would
like page numbering to begin on the 17th page, after the title page,
acknowledgements, table of contents, etc. I'd like the page numbers to begin
appearing on the first page of the preface, as is done in many classic books.
Again, in my case, that would be page xvii (17).

I'm pretty new at doing anything other than typing in Word, but here's what
I've tried so far: I've created a section break on page 16, thus a new
section (section 2)for the preface beginning on page 17. I then click INSERT,
goto PAGE NUMBERS, then FORMAT, and entered START AT XVII.

When I do that, the page number xvii DOES appear on page 17. The problem is
that numbers 1 through 16 (in Roman numerals) also appear on the previous 16
pages (in the previous section--section 1).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In section 2, using the header/footer toolbar, de-activate the "link to
previous/same as previous" icon. This icon links the sections and makes the
same thing show up in them all.

General information on front matter, which may also be useful--it explains
the step above and many others:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

Hope that helps,

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
OklahomaWriter OklahomaWriter is offline

Daiya,

Thanks so much for your kind and helpful reply. It worked! ....But...

I have a follow-up question. I changed the location of page numbering from
header to footer (and perhaps did some other unpardonable sin) and now both
section 1 and section 2 begin with page 17. (And I want section 1 to remain
without page numbering.) And when I go into section 1 and double click on a
page number (in the footer) and delete it, that also deletes the page
numbering in section 2.

Please enlighten me.

Thank you,
Michael

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

A footer must be unlinked from its "neighbor" in the preceding
section, just like headers. (Note also that if you enabled "Different
odd and even" and "Different first page" in File | Page Setup, you
have three different headers and footers, each of which must be
separately unlinked. For more on headers and footers, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm.)

After unlinking, you can delete the page number(s) that you don't
want. Then click the Format Page Number button on the Header and
Footer toolbar to display the Page Number Format box, where you can
choose a numbering format and set a desired starting value for page
numbering in the current section.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

To add to what Stefan has said, it's best in any document beyond the
simplest single-section paper to use the Insert Page Number button on the
Header and Footer toolbar rather than the Insert | Page Numbers feature. The
latter inserts the page number in a frame, which can cause problems down the
line (see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...yIndented.htm),
and although it's possible to work with these page numbers the same way you
do simple ones, it's a bit more complicated. And, although Word formats the
frame to avoid any header/footer text and vice versa, this can cause
problems in itself, so you should definitely avoid framed page numbers in a
header or footer that contains other text.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
OklahomaWriter OklahomaWriter is offline

Suzanne, Stefan, and Daiya:

I want to thank you all for your patience and generosity of spirit in
answering my questions, and those of others. Perhaps it's difficult for you
to imagine how lost and frustrated some of us with non-technical minds can
feel when stymied by such issues.

On a pragmatic note, Stefan: Your suggestion about checking that I'd
unlinked the footer from previous section--that worked. And Suzanne: I
followed your advice and inserted the page numbering from the header/footer
toolbar.

Thanks again,
Michael

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome, and thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

[...]