Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
treblet treblet is offline

Default Indexing

I have a booklength manuscript. The front matter should have roman numeral
page numbers. The text begins with no number on the first page 2 on the
second and so on through several sections.
Does the index pick up the assigned page number (i, ii, and 2, 3, etc)? Or
does it pick up what it thinks is the consecutive pages. If so the reference
in the index will be to the wrong page as per the page number.
Is it, therefore, necessary to break the front matter into a separate
document?
--
treblet
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

My experience is that if there is an XE field on page iii and the same on
page 3, Word will not distinguish. The assumption is that nothing in the
front matter needs to be indexed.

http://word.mvps.org

"treblet" wrote in message
I have a booklength manuscript. The front matter should have roman numeral
page numbers. The text begins with no number on the first page 2 on the
second and so on through several sections.
Does the index pick up the assigned page number (i, ii, and 2, 3, etc)? Or
does it pick up what it thinks is the consecutive pages. If so the
reference
in the index will be to the wrong page as per the page number.
Is it, therefore, necessary to break the front matter into a separate
document?
--
treblet

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
treblet treblet is offline

Thanks. I get that. I believe the conclusion is that in my case when I have
front matter including Contents (generated from Word) numbering, say, 25
pages, I had better separate that after running the TOC and treat it as a
separate document. It doesn't need indexing, which is OK.
That's right?
I value your comments onother matters I have been looking at in the community.
--
treblet

"treblet" wrote in message
I have a booklength manuscript. The front matter should have roman numeral
page numbers. The text begins with no number on the first page 2 on the
second and so on through several sections.
Does the index pick up the assigned page number (i, ii, and 2, 3, etc)? Or
does it pick up what it thinks is the consecutive pages. If so the
reference
in the index will be to the wrong page as per the page number.
Is it, therefore, necessary to break the front matter into a separate
document?
--
treblet

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you don't have any XE fields in the front matter, there shouldn't be any
problem. The index for the main portion of the document should be correct
even with the front matter in the same file. The index will reflect the
number that is (or would be) displayed on the page (not the whole number),
so if your content restarts at page 1, an XE field on page 1 will be indexed
as such.

http://word.mvps.org