islander

Default How to mailmerge formatted text from a Exel to Word document?

When I mailmerge formatted (i.e. italic/underlined/bold) text from an Excel
document to a Word document the formatting disappears. I would like to know
if it is possible to keep the formatting in the mailmerge process?

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?aXNsYW5kZXI=?=,

When I mailmerge formatted (i.e. italic/underlined/bold) text from an Excel
document to a Word document the formatting disappears. I would like to know
if it is possible to keep the formatting in the mailmerge process?

You can only do this if the data source is a Word table. You should be able to
copy/paste the Excel data into a Word document, if it doesn't have more than
63 columns. (Note: set up the page layout to landscape orientation, and go
into Normal view to have the best chance of SEEING everything you paste.)

Once you've done this, you can set up the main merge document. Insert all the
merge fields. Now select each merge field that should bring across the
formatting and press Shift+F9 to toggle on the field code. Remove the term
MERGEFIELD from the code. Press Shift+F9 again to hide the field code.

Note: you must leave at least one MERGEFIELD intact or mail merge will not
execute.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

OctoTools, a document management software ( www.octotools.com ) which is
used to format, enhance, print and output pdf/electronic files also has a
mail-merge and supports Rich Text Format documents (with bold, Italic,
underline, images, and so on...). It is designed to run automatically with
medium to high volume throughput. If interested, please get in touch.
Larry T. at 978 535-7676

Regards,

Larry T.

Can Word display HTML code as formatted text? Brent Microsoft Word Help 1 May 19th 05 10:54 PM
Numbers to appear at the cursor... ~D~ New Users 11 February 1st 05 04:49 AM
Paste exact text as formatted in another document? Top Spin New Users 3 January 12th 05 07:17 AM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
Using Hyperlinks in Mail Merge IF...THEN...ELSE Statements Mark V Mailmerge 8 November 30th 04 01:31 PM