Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
tb tb is offline

Default Absolute links vs relative links in main merge document

I have a very large document with multiple authors. I want to link to each
document part and later move the main document and all the parts to another
network, however, the hyperlinks are absolute instead of relative. How can I
change the links so they are relative?
--
TB
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In the document properties dialog, you can change the hyperlink base for the
main document

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"TB" wrote in message
I have a very large document with multiple authors. I want to link to each
document part and later move the main document and all the parts to
another
network, however, the hyperlinks are absolute instead of relative. How can
change the links so they are relative?
--
TB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
tb tb is offline

I have tried this, but I must be thick. Does the hyperlink base have to
include the absolute path? I would prefer to include the main folder so
relative links will be associated to the folder only and not the entire path.
This way, I can move the main folder to another network. Please provide an
example of how the hyperlink base should be entered. Thank you.
--
TB

"TB" wrote in message
I have a very large document with multiple authors. I want to link to each
document part and later move the main document and all the parts to
another
network, however, the hyperlinks are absolute instead of relative. How can
change the links so they are relative?
--
TB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

As an alternative, you could use the following code in a macro to update all
of the Hyperlinks in a document:

' Macro created 26/10/01 by Doug Robbins to update links in a document
'
Dim alink As Field, linktype As Range, linkfile As Range
Dim linklocation As Range, i As Integer, j As Integer, linkcode As Range
Dim Message, Title, Default, Newfile
Dim counter As Integer

counter = 0
For Each alink In ActiveDocument.Fields
If alink.Type = wdFieldLink Then

Set linkcode = alink.Code
i = InStr(linkcode, Chr(34))
Set linktype = alink.Code
linktype.End = linktype.Start + i
j = InStr(Mid(linkcode, i + 1), Chr(34))
Set linklocation = alink.Code
linklocation.Start = linklocation.Start + i + j - 1
If counter = 0 Then
Set linkfile = alink.Code
linkfile.End = linkfile.Start + i + j - 1
linkfile.Start = linkfile.Start + i
Message = "Enter the modified path and filename following this
Format " & linkfile
Title = "Update Link"
Default = linkfile
Newfile = InputBox(Message, Title, Default)
End If
linkcode.Text = linktype & Newfile & linklocation
counter = counter + 1
End If
Next alink