Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
grizfb75 grizfb75 is offline

Default Autotext display in Word 2007

I was wondering if there was anyway to change the display of the autotext
entries in Word 2007. Ala, possibly something similar to Word 2003, i.e.
where you had drop down menus for each category and no previews. I have over
300 entries into autotext and the Word 2007 version permits very problematic
browsing and selection of this many autotext entries.
--
Eric
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Z3JpemZiNzU=?=,

I was wondering if there was anyway to change the display of the autotext
entries in Word 2007. Ala, possibly something similar to Word 2003, i.e.
where you had drop down menus for each category and no previews. I have over
300 entries into autotext and the Word 2007 version permits very problematic
browsing and selection of this many autotext entries.

You can show the old dialog box using a macro:

Sub ShowAutoTextDialog()
Dialogs(wdDialogEditAutoText).Show
End Sub

the title across the top of the dialog box is wrong (it says AutoCorrect) but
the rest of it appears to be intact.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
grizfb75 grizfb75 is offline

Cindy, thanks so much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately I am unfamilar on how to insert this code in to the appropriate
place so that it will function correctly. I tried recording a macro using
the lines of text you supplied me but it did not seem to work. If you could
provide a little more guidence on how to create the macro so that it will
function correctly, I would greatly appreciate it. I did follow the help
commands in Microsoft Office, but those did not seem to help. Thanks again,
Eric
--
eric

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Z3JpemZiNzU=?=,

I was wondering if there was anyway to change the display of the autotext
entries in Word 2007. Ala, possibly something similar to Word 2003, i.e.
where you had drop down menus for each category and no previews. I have over
300 entries into autotext and the Word 2007 version permits very problematic
browsing and selection of this many autotext entries.

You can show the old dialog box using a macro:

Sub ShowAutoTextDialog()
Dialogs(wdDialogEditAutoText).Show
End Sub

the title across the top of the dialog box is wrong (it says AutoCorrect) but
the rest of it appears to be intact.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
grizfb75 grizfb75 is offline

Never mind that last post, I believe I got the macro to function correctly
through the Visual Basic editor. It seems the Macro pulls up the Auto Text
entry box similar to Word 2003. However, I was wondering if there was any way
to display the list of autotext entries similar to how it was done in Word
2003. Where you had them listed in Sub menus from a drop down menu. That
is what I am really going after. Thanks again.
--
eric

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Z3JpemZiNzU=?=,

I was wondering if there was anyway to change the display of the autotext
entries in Word 2007. Ala, possibly something similar to Word 2003, i.e.
where you had drop down menus for each category and no previews. I have over
300 entries into autotext and the Word 2007 version permits very problematic
browsing and selection of this many autotext entries.

You can show the old dialog box using a macro:

Sub ShowAutoTextDialog()
Dialogs(wdDialogEditAutoText).Show
End Sub

the title across the top of the dialog box is wrong (it says AutoCorrect) but
the rest of it appears to be intact.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Z3JpemZiNzU=?=,

However, I was wondering if there was any way
to display the list of autotext entries similar to how it was done in Word
2003. Where you had them listed in Sub menus from a drop down menu. That
is what I am really going after.

Yes, it should be possible, but the approach isn't as "simple" as displaying
the dialog box. You'd need to recreate the functionality, and this could get
very complicated, dealing with the new RibbonX...

What you might try, before you pursue that route (and in the word.vba.general
newsgroup, please, where you'll find many more experts to help) is:

Create a new template in Word 2003 (or 2002). Create and save a new toolbar in
this template. While still in Customize mode, hold CTRL (to copy) and drag
this menu item from Word's built-in menus to your toolbar. Close the template
(saving the changes) and copy it to the Office 2007 machine, putting it in the
STARTUP folder. This should load the Toolbar with the dropdown menu in the
Add-ins tab on the Ribbon. All the functionality is still in Word, so the
entries should be there (although I haven't tested it - this is all
theoretical - be interesting to find out if it works).