Kevin J. Bentley (Western Digital Corp)

Default Autotext problem...

I am noticing that when i configure the Autotext feature in word (I am using
word as my email editor) everything works fine... until... i close Outlook.
Upon re-opening outlook or word all of my Autotext entries have been cleared?
I have checked my normal.dot file to ensure it is not in read-only mode. Is
there anything else i can check?

....also we have noticed that when you paste picture files into word if you
scroll the scrollbar the picture disappers and doesnt even show a
placeholder? If I print the document, everything is there but doesnt show up
while editing?

Thanks for any help?

Kevin
Jay Freedman

Kevin J. Bentley (Western Digital Corp) wrote:
I am noticing that when i configure the Autotext feature in word (I
am using word as my email editor) everything works fine... until... i
close Outlook. Upon re-opening outlook or word all of my Autotext
entries have been cleared? I have checked my normal.dot file to
ensure it is not in read-only mode. Is there anything else i can
check?

...also we have noticed that when you paste picture files into word
if you scroll the scrollbar the picture disappers and doesnt even
show a placeholder? If I print the document, everything is there but
doesnt show up while editing?

Thanks for any help?

Kevin

Do other things get saved in Normal.dot? Things like modified styles, or if
you change a font in the Format Font dialog and click the Default button?

If not, maybe Normal.dot isn't getting saved, regardless of it not being
read-only. If you have Acrobat 7.0, its add-in can cause that -- see the
last section of http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm.

The picture scrolling thing is usually an overworked video card. See the
thread at
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...854ea242a9814b.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Kevin J. Bentley (Western Digital Corp)

I am having this problem on multiple machines; some are running Acrobat 7.0
and others are not? I get the same behavior on all machines? I did check
your last post and can confirm that if i change the default font....changes
are saved and active the next time I run the application.

I have also noticed that when i restart Word and go to the Autotext tab
there is a drop down that says look in "all active templates". If i click
this drop down and select "normal.dot" my entries are there and function
normally. My problem is that this is not an acceptable workaround for the
users I support. They was it to be funcational without having to reconfigure
everytime they open Word?

Any suggestions?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

[...]

Jay Freedman

Hi Kevin,

I'm puzzled now. In every installation I've ever seen, the "all active
templates" setting does include normal.dot, as well as the attached
template of the active document (if different from normal.dot) and any
active global templates that contain autotext. I've never heard of
having to select normal.dot explicitly.

If I can figure out how to select a particular template in the
dropdown by running a macro, I'll post it here. It looks like it may
be one of the things MS left out of the VBA interface.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:34:02 -0700, Kevin J. Bentley (Western Digital
Corp) soft.com