Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jlm05 jlm05 is offline

Default Backspace should remove bullet AND go to previous paragraph

I recently installed Office 2003, including Word 2003.

In Word 2000, I was able to configure something so that if I was at the
beginning of a list item, and pressed backspace, Word removed the previous
paragraph marker.

So for:

1. List 1
2. List 2

And I pressed backspace when the cursor was at the beginning of List 2, I
would get.

1. List 1 List 2

Now, pressing backspace deletes the bullet or number itself, which is silly.
The bullet/number should not be touched by backspace. If the paragraph style
has numbering or bullets, then the number/bullet should never be removed
unless I change the style.

Is there a way to configure Word 2003 so that backspace from the beginning
of the list item removes the previous paragraph marker?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Word doesn't delete the bullet (or number) and merge the paragraphs at the
same time; instead, you will have to press Backspace repeatedly.

However, it should be sufficient to press the key twice (first to delete the
bullet and then to delete the paragraph mark) assuming that you clear the
"Set left- and first-indent with tabs and backspaces" option in Tools |
AutoCorrect Options, AutoFormat As You Type tab.

Also, note that in a paragraph where the bullet has been suppressed, you can
bring it back by pressing Ctrl+Q (the ResetPara command), assuming that
numbering/bullet formatting is style-based.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP