Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Timsy

Default How do I set up multiple links to the same footnote?

I am trying to create a food menu usng the same footnote for various dishes.
ie. V in body of text, vegetarian in footnote. However I keep ending up
creating a new footnote each time. When I deleted the extra ones, there is
now a huge space between footnote separator and footnote. When I try to
delete these unnecessary spaces, I get the message: This is not a valid
action for footnotes.

Can someone help?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

Create the Footnote for the first occurrence, then create Cross References to
it for each additional reference.

HTH |:)

"Timsy" wrote:

I am trying to create a food menu usng the same footnote for various dishes.
ie. V in body of text, vegetarian in footnote. However I keep ending up
creating a new footnote each time. When I deleted the extra ones, there is
now a huge space between footnote separator and footnote. When I try to
delete these unnecessary spaces, I get the message: This is not a valid
action for footnotes.

Can someone help?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SVC

The footnote "number" in the body of your menu is formatted as a superscript
letter. Try adding one genuine footnote "number" for each footnote and
faking the rest by using a superscript character (Format Font, check
Superscript).

"Timsy" wrote:

I am trying to create a food menu usng the same footnote for various dishes.
ie. V in body of text, vegetarian in footnote. However I keep ending up
creating a new footnote each time. When I deleted the extra ones, there is
now a huge space between footnote separator and footnote. When I try to
delete these unnecessary spaces, I get the message: This is not a valid
action for footnotes.

Can someone help?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daiya Mitchell

Hi Timsy,

I don't see why you need footnotes at all. Simply use (V) in the body of the
menu, and put a key at the bottom of each page, e.g.;
(V) vegetarian
(H) very spicy

A good place to put the key would probably be in the Footer--that will
automatically repeat it at the bottom of each page. Use View Header/Footer,
and see this page if you are not familiar with footers.
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

Since V always means the same thing, you just need to tell the reader what
it means, and a key in the footer will do fine, like a map legend. With
footnotes, usually each note means something different, so that's what they
are designed for. They aren't the right tool for your purpose, as far as I
can tell.

Re your actual questions:

Re the "not a valid action" message--instead of selecting and hitting
delete, put the cursor at the end of the note, and backspace the space away.
Also, the only proper way to delete a footnote is to delete the number in
the main text--don't delete the note itself.

You can set up multiple links to the same footnote by using
InsertReferenceCross-Reference. However, that will not reprint the
footnote on a second page, simply provide the number link.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement