Brod

Default Voice Recognition File - help

I want to save my Voice Recognition File in MS Office 2003 to prevent
re-educating it. What is it called? What is the extension? Where can I find
it?

TIA

--
Brod

Brod

Thank you Garfield but I'm not sure what to do now. I have downloaded the
file, installed it and I have run it but I still am unable to find where the
original file is stored. It would appear to have the extension *.spf but
there is no such file on my computer.

In some of the older version it was possible just to move the file
containing all the 'educated' voice commands to a safe place and restore it
should the original be lost. This Word 2003 has me stumped. I just can't
find where all those stored records are.

TIA
--
Brod

"garfield-n-odie" wrote in message
See
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en .

Brod wrote:

I want to save my Voice Recognition File in MS Office 2003 to prevent
re-educating it. What is it called? What is the extension? Where can I
find it?

TIA

garfield-n-odie

As far as I know, it was NEVER possible "just to move the file
containing all the 'educated' voice commands" because the speech
profile was not stored in one explicit file, and it was not even
possible to back up the speech profile before Microsoft developed
this speech profile manager tool. According to
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283159 "Frequently asked
questions about speech recognition":

26. Are the speech recognition training files backed up by
the Save My Settings Wizard and the Profile Wizard? If not, is
there a way to do this manually and restore to a new system?

Currently these utilities do not save the speech recognition
training profile because they are designed for migration to
another computer. It is not very useful to restore user profiles
to a different computer on which audio channel may have a
different character. If you have to back up and to restore a
profile to the same system, you can use the Speech Profile
Manager utility.

For more information about the Speech Profile Manager utility,
visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...t_lexicon.mspx

Brod wrote:

Thank you Garfield but I'm not sure what to do now. I have downloaded the
file, installed it and I have run it but I still am unable to find where the
original file is stored. It would appear to have the extension *.spf but
there is no such file on my computer.

In some of the older version it was possible just to move the file
containing all the 'educated' voice commands to a safe place and restore it
should the original be lost. This Word 2003 has me stumped. I just can't
find where all those stored records are.

TIA

Brod

Thank you Garfield. Trust me it WAS possible with the earlier versions.
When you altered the information it used to say it was saving it to such and
such a file and it was an easy matter to save the file to another location.
Now it just saves it but does not tell you where or how. I'm scared
something will go wrong and I'll have to go all through that tedious
re-education routine.

Sad it has been changed.

Thanks anyway.
--

Brod wrote:

Thank you Garfield but I'm not sure what to do now. I have downloaded the
file, installed it and I have run it but I still am unable to find where
the original file is stored. It would appear to have the extension *.spf
but there is no such file on my computer.

In some of the older version it was possible just to move the file
containing all the 'educated' voice commands to a safe place and restore
it should the original be lost. This Word 2003 has me stumped. I just
can't find where all those stored records are.

TIA

garfield-n-odie

The first Word version that supported speech recognition was Word
2002 (Office XP), which is only one version before the current
Word 2003 (Office 2003), and the feature works the same way in
both versions. Not sure which "earlier versions" you're
referring to. Possibly you don't understand how speech
recognition works in Word any better than you understand how
bookmarks work in Word (to those who don't get the reference, see
Brod's advice to Sharon in
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...9639fa6ae0324a
).

Brod wrote:

Thank you Garfield. Trust me it WAS possible with the earlier versions.
When you altered the information it used to say it was saving it to such and
such a file and it was an easy matter to save the file to another location.
Now it just saves it but does not tell you where or how. I'm scared
something will go wrong and I'll have to go all through that tedious
re-education routine.

Sad it has been changed.

Thanks anyway.

Brod

No need to be offensive Garfield. I certainly know what bookmarks are and
how to use Voice Recognition plus many of the other functions of Office. Be
assured I used to be able to save a single file to protect my voice
recognition configuration.

I challenge you to tell me what was wrong with the advice I gave Sharon.

--
Brod

"garfield-n-odie" wrote in message
The first Word version that supported speech recognition was Word 2002
(Office XP), which is only one version before the current Word 2003
(Office 2003), and the feature works the same way in both versions. Not
sure which "earlier versions" you're referring to. Possibly you don't
understand how speech recognition works in Word any better than you
understand how bookmarks work in Word (to those who don't get the
reference, see Brod's advice to Sharon in
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...9639fa6ae0324a )
.

Brod

Suzanne,

I used 'Naturally Speaking Version 1' many years ago but found it very
unstable. I switched to Office Voice Recognition when it first came out.
I'm not sure which version it came in but I suspect it was either 2000 or
XP. I'm currently trying to establish when it first appeared in MS
products.
--
Brod

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Are you sure you weren't using third-party voice-recognition software?

so
all may benefit.

u...

Brod wrote:

Thank you Garfield but I'm not sure what to do now. I have downloaded

the
file, installed it and I have run it but I still am unable to find

where
the original file is stored. It would appear to have the extension

*.spf
but there is no such file on my computer.

In some of the older version it was possible just to move the file
containing all the 'educated' voice commands to a safe place and

restore
it should the original be lost. This Word 2003 has me stumped. I just
can't find where all those stored records are.

TIA

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Brod,

The information on how to use the Speech Profile Import/Export
tool to create a .SPF file is in the link at the bottom
of the MS Knowledge Base article FAQ snippet that garfield-n-oldie
copied into a prior message.
from the MS Knowledge base article.

When you download the manager and double click it, it unpacks
a file named SPProfileMgr.exe. When you double click that you
should see a list of one or more Speech User Profile names that
match the ones in the Speech applet in the Windows control Panel
You can select one, choose [Export] and give the Profile a name
to use for saving. This creates the .SPF file, your backup.
To restore one later you run the SPProfileMgr.exe and [Import]
a profile copy.

The basic MS speech files are .dat files that have a file name
that starts with "SP_" and are generally located in

drive:\Documents and Settings\your username here\Application Data\Microsoft\Speech
and
drive:\Documents and Settings\your username here\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Speech

Note that the Profile Mgr is from the Windows Speech team and
is a 'use as is' (non Office) product.

FWIW, Dragon's current versions have additional features, languages
and capabilities not presently available in the U.S. English only
implementation for English language portion of the MS Office Speech
implementation. http://scansoft.com

========
"Brod" wrote in message u...
Thank you Garfield. Trust me it WAS possible with the earlier versions.
When you altered the information it used to say it was saving it to such and
such a file and it was an easy matter to save the file to another location.
Now it just saves it but does not tell you where or how. I'm scared
something will go wrong and I'll have to go all through that tedious
re-education routine.

Sad it has been changed.

Thanks anyway.
--
Brod
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

Brod

Thank you Bob. I have found that out from other sources and have used it.
There is another problem though and that is that my primary concern was how
to transfer the 'educated' configuration from one computer to another. My
laptop has been educated but when I try to import the Toshiba laptop the
computer will not accept it. The laptop has been configured in Toshiba's
inbuilt sound recording system. I'm currently working out how to overcome
that.

Thank you.
--
Brod

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...
[...]

"Brod" wrote in message
u...
Thank you Garfield. Trust me it WAS possible with the earlier versions.
When you altered the information it used to say it was saving it to such
and
such a file and it was an easy matter to save the file to another
location.
Now it just saves it but does not tell you where or how. I'm scared
something will go wrong and I'll have to go all through that tedious
re-education routine.

Sad it has been changed.

Thanks anyway.
--
Brod
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

Brod

Posted May 30 2001

Speech recognition-one of the revolutionary new features in Microsoft
Office XP-makes it possible for users to enter text, control menus, and
execute commands simply by speaking into a microphone. A great supplement to
traditional mouse and keyboard input, speech recognition will boost
productivity and provide a new option for people who have difficulty using a
keyboard.

--

Brod wrote:

Thank you Garfield. Trust me it WAS possible with the earlier versions.
When you altered the information it used to say it was saving it to such
and
such a file and it was an easy matter to save the file to another
location.
Now it just saves it but does not tell you where or how. I'm scared
something will go wrong and I'll have to go all through that tedious
re-education routine.

Sad it has been changed.

Thanks anyway.

Attached Images

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Brod,

The speech profiles are, to some extent, machine specific.
While you can move the saved .SPF file from one computer to
another via email, or network copy or CD, it may not be
useful to you unless the two computers are fairly identical.

=========