Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kempofighter

Default Problems using document map

Hello. I have to post these questions because I didn't see the answers in
other posts. I do know a bit more about document map from reading other
posts but still had some remaining questions.

For some reason, it doesn't seem to work consistently for me. I use MS word
2003. I have a document that has a TOC, TOF, TOT which I update
automatically using f-9. Throughout the document, I use heading 1-5 for each
entry that I wish to keep linked to my TOC entries. I haven't had any
problems with TOC. I'm having all kinds of problems with Doc Map, TOF, TOT,
and captions.

First, my doc map sometimes will show a heading entry but without the
chapters; like so:

3. (U) Preliminary Design
3.1 (U) (U) CSCI External Interfaces
(U) CSCI Architecture

Notice how the third entry I show doesn't have 3.2 prefix? I click on that
entry in doc map and it takes me to that heading in my document. In the
document, it looks correct with the chapter 3.2 prefix. My doc uses basic
autonumbering for headings. Both TOC and actual doc look fine. But doc map
isn't correct. Normally I'd say who cares. But since I am having a whole
slew of other problems, I'm sure it is a clue as to how to solve other issues
I am having. Sometimes, things show up in Document map that aren't even
headings such as the first line of a normal paragraph between headings. I
don't get this either. This problem seems to come and go. Sometimes I see
it and sometimes the map looks great. Another issue is that my Appendixes
don't look right. For instance:

in doc map:

APPENDIX A (U) External Interfaces
Appendix B (U) Internal Interfaces

Notice how app b is in lowercase in doc map? Now in my actual Document and
table of contents both use heading 1 format and our all uppercase and in bold
type. Why would it show up differently in doc map for only Appendix B?

I hope someone has some insight into these issues. This post is kind of
long; so I'll post my caption questions in a separate posting.

Best Regards,

Shawn
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?a2VtcG9maWdodGVy?=,

The document map can do odd things, at times. Given all the problems you're
encountering, I have to wonder if the internal structures of this document
haven't become "mixed up"...

If you
- rename Normal.dot to NormalOLD.dot
- start Word
- open this document
- copy everything EXCEPT the last paragraph mark to a new document

Does this new document behave more consistently with respect to the document map
entries and formatting?

Everything that's been formatted with an "outline level" will appear in the
document map, irregardless whether you see any numbering. When you get "stray
paragraphs", click in one, then check the "Level" setting in Format/Paragraph
and see if it's been changed to something other than "body text".

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to what Cindy has said, the reason you're seeing a difference in
capitalization is most likely that Heading 1 has been formatted as All Caps
(so both titles appear in all caps), but one title has been typed in Upper
and lowercase and the other using CapsLock. The Document Map (like the TOC)
uses its own styles, which are all U&lc; they don't pick up formatting from
the heading styles but do pick up direct formatting.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
[...]

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kempofighter

Wow. That seems to have helped. Just copying the existing document into a
new one and the doc map looked correct immediately. I'm not sure why you
suggested renaming though. I just opened up a new doc and copied the old one
straight in and that seems to have done the trick by itself. Just for future
reference, could you clarify the .dot comment? What is a .dot file? How
come you suggested renaming a .dot file rather than copying straight into a
new document from the old?

Thank for the help!

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?a2VtcG9maWdodGVy?=,

Wow. That seems to have helped. Just copying the existing document into a
new one and the doc map looked correct immediately. I'm not sure why you
suggested renaming though. I just opened up a new doc and copied the old one
straight in and that seems to have done the trick by itself. Just for future
reference, could you clarify the .dot comment? What is a .dot file? How
come you suggested renaming a .dot file rather than copying straight into a
new document from the old?

Normal.dot is the base template Word uses to create a document when you click the
"Blank document" icon. (ALL documents in Word are created from some template or other
document.) This is also the place Word stores your personal customizations, such as
AutoText, formatted AutoCorrect, toolbars and keyboardshortcuts, macros, and
sometimes styles. Since Normal.dot is always being used, it gets worked pretty hard
and is therefore vulnerable to being damaged.

Structural problems in a document can be something that's happened to the documetn,
or they may have their origin in the template from which they're created. That's why
we often recommend renaming the Normal.dot before creating a new "container document"
for recovering a damaged one. Then you can be sure you're starting with the best
basis and will get the most stable result.

[...]

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)