Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
robruth robruth is offline

Default Word 2002 default settings for pre existing documents

Hello. Is there a way to automatically add default settings to every file
that I open? eg: I have numerous files that I am editing now, and I would
like each of them to automatically have page numbering, file name header, and
Last Printed header added to them. Also, how do I make the default page
numbering at the Top instead of at the Bottom? Is that possible, and how?

thank you very much for your time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Robruth

robruth wrote:
Hello. Is there a way to automatically add default settings to every file
that I open? eg: I have numerous files that I am editing now, and I would
like each of them to automatically have page numbering, file name header, and
Last Printed header added to them. Also, how do I make the default page
numbering at the Top instead of at the Bottom? Is that possible, and how?

That's when you need to create your first template. Open a document,
adjust all settings in the way you want, and then save as, type: Word
Template (*.dot ). When you do that, Word should offer you your default
template folder, save it in there.

Now when you want to create a new document based on that template, go to
File | New (version-specific handling from here, but you have to choose
from template and then double-click on the previously saved file).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
robruth robruth is offline

Robert,

Thanks for your time. That does help a little bit. But what I really want
to do is have those default settings automatically applied to pre- existing
documents. So, I want to be able to open old files and have those headers
applied automatically. If this is not possible, then is there a way to do
that simply?
thanks.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hello Robruth

robruth wrote:
Hello. Is there a way to automatically add default settings to every file
that I open? eg: I have numerous files that I am editing now, and I would
like each of them to automatically have page numbering, file name header, and
Last Printed header added to them. Also, how do I make the default page
numbering at the Top instead of at the Bottom? Is that possible, and how?

That's when you need to create your first template. Open a document,
adjust all settings in the way you want, and then save as, type: Word
Template (*.dot ). When you do that, Word should offer you your default
template folder, save it in there.

Now when you want to create a new document based on that template, go to
File | New (version-specific handling from here, but you have to choose
from template and then double-click on the previously saved file).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

robruth wrote:
Thanks for your time. That does help a little bit. But what I really want
to do is have those default settings automatically applied to pre- existing
documents. So, I want to be able to open old files and have those headers
applied automatically. If this is not possible, then is there a way to do
that simply?

Two steps for this process:

1. Create a macro that carries through your desired changes. You can
start with recording it, though in case of H&F it might need a lot a
tweaking for the code to be working for "all kinds of" documents. There
are good introductory articles (and of course good advanced ones, too!)
in the VBA section on http://word.mvps.org

2. If you really want to apply these changes to each and every document
you are opening (that's a pretty heavy constraint), then you need to
pack the code into an AutoOpen Macro of a global template. See:
WD2000: Auto Macros in Word
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211659/en-us

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
robruth robruth is offline

Robert,

Wow. You are speaking greek to me! I don't even know what a macro is..
so I guess I have my work cut out for me. Thanks for the tips. This is
something I need to figure out, so I will get cracking with the links you
provided. Thanks for your time on this.
sincerely,
RM