Speedy

Default Advanced Tab settings in Word

I am trying to figure out how to get the same tab settings functionality in
word as I have in Excel. Let me explain a bit: I work with numbers in
colums. This is easely dealt with using the decimal tab to ensure the
numbers are aligned properly.
But when there are negative numbers i.e. with brackets around the number
(123.33) the alignment is out due to the Bracket, I want the alignment to
consider the bracket as an indication the number is shifted to the right one
chracter more than when there is n o bracket.

Get Want
321 321
(123) (123)

In excel this is dealt with by having a custom definition which includes
defining a trailing character and things are automatically sorted out. Any
suggestions?

Speedy

Yes, this does in fact do the trick for numbers.

I also have text, the total line after the numbers. This needs to have a
different setting (alignment) than for the numbers to line up. Is there not
a way to automate this?

I suppose here one should use a table rather than tabs?

Speedy

"Speedy" wrote in message
[...]

Stefan Blom

Alternatively, to take advantage of the formatting features of Excel,
you could embed an Excel spreadsheet in your Word document. That might
be an easier solution, if you can't get what you want in Word.

--
Stefan Blom