AmandaH

Default Mysterious line and extra spaces in footer!

Hi all!

I'm working in word 2003 and am having an issue when I add references to the
document. On each page I add a reference, the footer section on that page
seems to add about 14 blank lines above the footer and a horizontal line
(about 5cm long) halfway up the page (just above the blank lines).

The blank lines and the horizontal line appear to be in the footer as when I
select to 'view footer' the show/hide formatting marks are also highlighted.

However! the document will not let me select the blank lines or the
horizontal lines to delete them. A bit on the frustrating side. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Anne Troy

It sounds like you've got footnotes or something that are in white text,
maybe? What happens if you click inside the footer, hit Ctrl+A and hit your
delete key? Also, what kind of references are you "adding"? Check the
formatting of the style "footnote". It could have something like 100 pts
before or something when you go to Format--Style, choose the Footnote
style, hit Modify and then Format--Paragraph, space before/after...
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"AmandaH" wrote in message
Hi all!

I'm working in word 2003 and am having an issue when I add references to
the
document. On each page I add a reference, the footer section on that page
seems to add about 14 blank lines above the footer and a horizontal line
(about 5cm long) halfway up the page (just above the blank lines).

The blank lines and the horizontal line appear to be in the footer as when
select to 'view footer' the show/hide formatting marks are also
highlighted.

However! the document will not let me select the blank lines or the
horizontal lines to delete them. A bit on the frustrating side. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

AmandaH

Hi Anne,

Tried your suggestions. Hitting Ctrl + A in the footer section just deleted
the page numbers. For some reason it will not let me select the rogue blank
lines or the other horizontal line.

I looked at the styles for both the footer and the references and there are
not any bizarre space before/after settings. Also, when I am in the
'references' section the extra lines re not highlighted. It is only when I
have selected 'footer'.

"AmandaH" wrote in message
Hi all!

I'm working in word 2003 and am having an issue when I add references to
the
document. On each page I add a reference, the footer section on that page
seems to add about 14 blank lines above the footer and a horizontal line
(about 5cm long) halfway up the page (just above the blank lines).

The blank lines and the horizontal line appear to be in the footer as when
select to 'view footer' the show/hide formatting marks are also
highlighted.

However! the document will not let me select the blank lines or the
horizontal lines to delete them. A bit on the frustrating side. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

If you would like to send me a small (one-page) sample of a document
containing the problem, I'll take a look at it.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Try pressing Ctrl+Q in the footer. This should remove the border if

that's
what the line is.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Extra Line at Footer mason Tables 2 May 16th 05 07:28 PM
extra line inserted after return, i dont want it! simon Microsoft Word Help 1 May 7th 05 08:58 PM
extra long lines and word split at end of line without hyphenation RSA2004 Microsoft Word Help 1 January 28th 05 12:15 PM
Have an easy way to remove extra line breaks in Word? PJ Microsoft Word Help 2 January 2nd 05 04:29 PM