David Bartlett

Default How do I convert a "dragged and dropped" text file from an object.

How do I convert a dragged and dropped text file from one text file to
another, back to text in order that I may edit the file. Word drops the file
into the original, but makes it an "object".
--
Dave
CyberTaz

Hi Dave-

AFAIK, you can't 'convert' the objects back to text. They are basically
'pictures' of what the dragged files contain.

The objects will have to be replaced by the text content.

The easiest way is to double-click one of the objects so it will open in an
editable window, then select the content. Either copy & paste or drag & drop
it to the appropriate location in your main doc. Then you can delete the
original object. Repeat the process for each object.

In order to prevent the problem in the future, avoid dragging a File Icon
into your Word document - what you really want is that file's _content_, not
the file itself. (Kinda like if you want a glass of iced tea. You pour the
tea into your glass from the pitcher, you don't stick the pitcher into your
glass.)

Either open the file you want content from, select the content and proceed
as above, or you can explore other methods, such as the InsertFile command.

HTH |:)