Waterskier

Default Wnat to change layout of document list box like Windows Explorer

Currently, when I click File -- Open, I get a dialog box that has a list of
icons to the left and odd sorting to the right. I want to change this to a
"document tree" structure like Windows Explorer. How do I do this?

You don't, but you can change the sorting by displaying the Details view and
clicking on the appropriate column heading. For information on how to use
the Places Bar to best advantage (in Word 2002 and 2003), see
http://www.gmayor.com/customize_the_word_places_bar.htm