Dave Neve

Default Envelope without letter

Hi

Is it possible to create an envelope (page 0) without the first page of a
letter (page 1) in Word.

I'd also then like to create a shortcut to the envelope.

The reason is that I often have to print envelopes only and the first page
causes me problems as it always wants to print itself off even if it is
empty (I know there are ways of stopping this but sometimes I forget and the
blank first page runs off)

Thanks in advance

Dave Neve

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Using the Envelopes tool, add the envelope to an otherwise blank document.
Press Ctrl+Shift+* as needed to toggle the display of the section break and
paragraph mark after the envelope page. Press Ctrl+End, the press Shift+Up
Arrow to select the final paragraph mark and the section break; tap the
delete key. You can then save this envelope-only page as a document.

Do you want the shortcut to the envelope to work from within Word only, or
do you want a shortcut on the desktop or quick launch bar? If just from
Word, then record a macro of your opening the envelope (and perhaps
selecting the delivery address, so that that part of the task is done for
you automatically). Assign the macro to a keyboard shortcut or toolbar tool.
Note: you might need to use SelfCert to create a signing certificate and
sign the macro if you get the "Macros are disabled..." prompt. More on this
if this occurs... post back.

For a Windows shortcut, create a new shortcut for starting Word, and add the
complete file name for the envelope after "...winword.exe" in the Target
box (if the path or filename contains spaces, enclose the entire path/name
in quotes; leave a space between "...winword.exe" and the beginning of the
file specification). For example, my target after doing this was:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE" "c:\documents\just
envelope.doc"

Note: the location/name on your computer will be different... this is just
an example of how it MIGHT appear.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
"Dave Neve" wrote in message
Hi

Is it possible to create an envelope (page 0) without the first page of a
letter (page 1) in Word.

I'd also then like to create a shortcut to the envelope.

The reason is that I often have to print envelopes only and the first page
causes me problems as it always wants to print itself off even if it is
empty (I know there are ways of stopping this but sometimes I forget and
the blank first page runs off)

Thanks in advance

Dave Neve

Graham Mayor

You could instead use an envelope template. There are samples available for
download on my web site that you can modify to your taste. Drop a shortcut
to the template on your desktop for instant access.