Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TomU TomU is offline

Default Duplicate WordWheel registry key

I discovered a duplicate program class key in HKCR for
Microsoft.ITIR.WordWheelBuild.5.4. The first key has a default value of
"Microsoft Infotech ITIR Word Wheel Build" and the second is
"Microsoft.ITIR.WordWheelBuild.5.4". They both have the same CLSID of
{3E6C7FFD-743D-4265-8E3D-0D7EA889DFDB} which is itircl54.dll. Other systems I
have checked have only the first key. The questions I have a

1. Shouldn't program class keys must be unique?

2. What is the possible affect of deleting second (assumed to be duplicate)
key?

3. What is WordWheelBuild 5.4?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

"TomU" wrote in message
I discovered a duplicate program class key in HKCR for
Microsoft.ITIR.WordWheelBuild.5.4. The first key has a default value of
"Microsoft Infotech ITIR Word Wheel Build" and the second is
"Microsoft.ITIR.WordWheelBuild.5.4". They both have the same CLSID of
{3E6C7FFD-743D-4265-8E3D-0D7EA889DFDB} which is itircl54.dll. Other
systems I
have checked have only the first key. The questions I have a

1. Shouldn't program class keys must be unique?

No. The CLSID identifies the file or library to use (itircl54.dll in this
case). The key identifies the CLSID, and there may be more than one. This
technique is used to deal with different versions of an app. Eg, if you look
up "Word.Application" you'll get the latest version you have on your
computer, which might happen to be "Word.Application.11"; but you might also
have "Word.Application.9" still available for some legacy application that
needs that specific version.

2. What is the possible affect of deleting second (assumed to be
duplicate)
key?

An application looking for that key will fail.

3. What is WordWheelBuild 5.4?

Part of Microsoft Infotech.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TomU TomU is offline

I think what you are saying is there can be multiple keys for the same
application such as Word, each pointing to a particular vesion. This makes
sense assuming the key "Word.Application" would point to the default version
(say 11) while the keys for "Word.Application.9" and "Word.Application.11"
would point to their respective versions.

However, in the case I have uncovered, the two keys are identical except for
their default value and they point to the same dll. To use your example -
what happens when there are two keys, both with the same name -
"Word.Application"? Which one is used?