Kathryn

Default Macro help

I have a computer running Word 2000. I have a new computer running Word
2003. I have a couple of Word macros that I need to move to the new
computer. I have already looked through old messages and have looked at
http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...latesStore.htm but still
cannot figure out how to move the macros to my new computer. When I open
Word 2000, my computer does not behave the way that it should according to
the addbalance site. Using the Organizer button doesn't show my macros;
using the VBA Editor doesnt' show any macros either, yet they are there and
run when I use them.

I have tried to simply copy the .dot file over to the new computer but I put
it in the subdirectory that Word looks in for templates but it does not see
it there.

Any help?
Charles Kenyon

Hi Kathryn,

I wrote the article on the Add Balance site. I may have made assumptions
that you are not making. Sorry. The steps in it work when followed exactly.

You do not want your old template in the user templates folder or the
workgroup templates folder, you want them in the Word startup folder. I
suspect that you have done this. For more on the different kinds of
templates, tabs on the file new dialog, and locations of templates folders
see http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.

The macros will not show up in the organizer because you do not have your
template _open_ in the organizer. They will not show up in the vba editor
because you do not have your template open. They run because you have your
template added as an Add-In. To get them available for editing, you need to
actually open the template so that it is visible on your screen. Doing this
will also make the macro modules available in the organizer. Note that
individual macros do not show up in the organizer, only modules.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Kathryn" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

Hi Suzanne,

My diagnosis, which may be off, is that the macros are currently stored in
an Add-In. That is the only way I know to have operational macros that don't
show up in the vb editor or the organizer. So the template needs to be moved
from the Startup folder on the old computer to the new computer.
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Make sure you are saving the file to the folder specified for "User
templates" on the File Locations tab of Tools | Options.

so
all may benefit.

"Kathryn" wrote in message
[...]

Ah, okay, I got in on this late. In either case, I suspect that Kathryn is
putting them in the folder reserved for Word's own installed templates
rather than either the User Templates or the Startup folder.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
Hi Suzanne,

My diagnosis, which may be off, is that the macros are currently stored in
an Add-In. That is the only way I know to have operational macros that

don't
show up in the vb editor or the organizer. So the template needs to be

moved
from the Startup folder on the old computer to the new computer.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Make sure you are saving the file to the folder specified for "User
templates" on the File Locations tab of Tools | Options.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Kathryn" wrote in message
[...]

Kathryn

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Hi Kathryn,

I wrote the article on the Add Balance site. I may have made assumptions
that you are not making. Sorry. The steps in it work when followed exactly.

You do not want your old template in the user templates folder or the
workgroup templates folder, you want them in the Word startup folder. I
suspect that you have done this. For more on the different kinds of
templates, tabs on the file new dialog, and locations of templates folders
see http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.

What *exactly* is the word startup folder? I have recorded a test macro
(named Test) on my new computer to see if I could locate exactly where the
macro should be stored but still can't find it. Microsoft can't find a file
with Test in the name.

The macros will not show up in the organizer because you do not have your
template _open_ in the organizer. They will not show up in the vba editor
because you do not have your template open. They run because you have your
template added as an Add-In. To get them available for editing, you need to
actually open the template so that it is visible on your screen.

If by open, you mean run the macro, I have done that. I run the macro and
then open the organizer, which is what the directions appear to want me to
do. What I get is box that will shows NewMacros in Normal.dot and NOTHING in
the other box. The only thing that it will allow me to do from there is copy
NewMacros(in Normal.dot) into the template I want to copy! I see nothing
that will allow me to copy FROM my macro/template.

"Kathryn" wrote in message
[...]

Kathryn

When I made these macros, I followed directions from a Word user's group. I
stored them wherever it is that Word defaulted to. Is there not a simple way
to find a file and copy it to disk and then put it where it needs to be on
the new computer? I've been able to do that with all other files.

"Kathryn" wrote in message
[...]

Kathryn

Please explain to me how to find the user template folder. Word doesn't seem
to want to tell me. I have gone into tools/options/file locations/user
templates and when I put the template into that folder word doesn't see it.
Also, when I made a test macro it shows up when I try to run it but it is not
in the folder I see when I check the tools/options/file locations/user
templates.

"Kathryn" wrote in message
[...]

Kathryn

So, I have macros that I cannot copy into the normal.dot then because on my
old computer they don't show up like they are supposed to, which means I
can't use them.

I downloaded a completely separate template. Please tell me how to put that
downloaded template into normal.dot so I can use it. I saved it to where
word told me templates go but when I try to run it it does not show up. The
only things that show up there are the 2 or 3 test macros that I made.

I am completely lost and cannot find any documentation that explains this in
layman's terms.

"Kathryn" wrote in message
[...]

Kathryn

No, no, no. This is a macro I downloaded. Word does not see it. I can not
find out where to put it so that word will see it!!!! It IS on my computer
but Word does not see it as a template even tho I saved it to the directory
that Word says templates should be in. The NewMacros module does not see it
so I cannot copy it to normal.dot. How do I get Word to see it so I can
open/run it as a template?

"Kathryn" wrote in message
[...]

How you handle this depends on whether the template is intended to be a
document template or a global template. If it is a document template and you
have stored it in the User Templates folder, then you should be able to
create new documents based on the template, and the macro will be available
to those documents.

If it is intended to be global (the macro should be available to all
documents), then you need to put the downloaded template in your Startup
folder. Both this and the previous suggestion depend on the file being an
actual Word template (.dot file).

Alternatively, you can open the template itself, then open the VBA Editor,
copy the macro, and paste it into a module in Normal.dot.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Hi Suzanne,

My diagnosis, which may be off, is that the macros are currently

stored
in
an Add-In. That is the only way I know to have operational

macros
that
don't
show up in the vb editor or the organizer. So the template needs

be
moved
from the Startup folder on the old computer to the new computer.
--
Charles Kenyon

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented

version of

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Make sure you are saving the file to the folder specified for

"User
templates" on the File Locations tab of Tools | Options.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Kathryn" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

If all you are trying to access is the macros in a template, if you put that
template (which should _not_ be named normal.dot) in the folder designated
as Word's startup folder in Tools Options File Locations, you will be
able to access the macros, assuming that you have your macro security set to
trust projects in that folder.
--

"Kathryn" wrote in message
[...]

Kathryn

It is a document template. I stored it in the User Templates folder (where
normal.dot is) but Word does not see it there. It is a .dot file that I
downloaded from Microsoft's website. Word does not see it therefore I cannot
open or run it in Word. However, I can go to the directory and double click
on it and will open Word then run.

After I run (open) it this way, I can open the VBA editor but there is
nothing there but the toolbars. The template is not there and I don't see a
way to open the template. Therefore, I can't cut and paste into normal.dot.

"Kathryn" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

The way the MS website works, you don't get macros with templates that you
download from it, AFAIK.

If you have a document or a template in your user templates folder (as set
in Tools Options File Locations) when you do File Open you can use it
as the basis for a new document. (On Word 2002 or later you need to get to
the templates on your computer through the task pane, as well. For more on

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Hi Suzanne,

My diagnosis, which may be off, is that the macros are
currently
stored
in
an Add-In. That is the only way I know to have operational

macros
that
don't
show up in the vb editor or the organizer. So the template
needs

be
moved
from the Startup folder on the old computer to the new
computer.
--
Charles Kenyon

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented

version of
Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)
http://addbalance.com/usersguide

See also the MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word which is
awesome!
[...]

File | New, not File | Open.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Hi Suzanne,

My diagnosis, which may be off, is that the macros are
currently
stored
in
an Add-In. That is the only way I know to have operational
macros
that
don't
show up in the vb editor or the organizer. So the template
needs
be
moved
from the Startup folder on the old computer to the new
computer.
--
Charles Kenyon

Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:

http://addbalance.com/word

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

On 5/11/05 12:46 PM, "Kathryn" wrote:

It is a document template. I stored it in the User Templates folder (where
normal.dot is) but Word does not see it there. It is a .dot file that I
downloaded from Microsoft's website. Word does not see it therefore I cannot
open or run it in Word. However, I can go to the directory and double click
on it and will open Word then run.

I haven't studied this thread--did you already try opening the template
itself, then going to Tools | Macro, Organizer, and copying the Macro
Project Item from the downloaded template over to your Normal template?

Table in a Form HiDbLevel Tables 12 February 27th 06 01:59 PM
Possible bug when recording a Word Macro Raven95 Microsoft Word Help 4 April 30th 05 09:49 PM
Running document macro from server Intravler New Users 0 March 4th 05 05:33 AM
Save As is not working due to macro security settings Craig Meritz Microsoft Word Help 1 December 16th 04 04:53 AM
2000 to 2002 macro and "Could not open macro storage" Art Farrell Mailmerge 1 December 6th 04 01:40 PM