Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DianePDavies DianePDavies is offline

Default How do I import "my styles" in a different documents

I have made a number of styles. I want to use these in different documents -
memos, reports etc. - so when I open a memo (in the company format) and start
to type, I would like to link to my styles. Then I also only want to see
these styles.

How is that done?

I hope it is not something with templates in all the different documents
(the memo, the report etc.). I want the styles to be an external thing - when
updated it is available in all my documents.
--
Diane
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You would need to store the styles in a template and either attach that
template to make your styles available or create your documents from that
template.

DianePDavies wrote:
I have made a number of styles. I want to use these in different
documents - memos, reports etc. - so when I open a memo (in the
company format) and start to type, I would like to link to my styles.
Then I also only want to see these styles.

How is that done?

I hope it is not something with templates in all the different
documents (the memo, the report etc.). I want the styles to be an
external thing - when updated it is available in all my documents.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DianePDavies DianePDavies is offline

How do I store just my styles to an otherwise empty document?

All my styles are in a current document - how do I just copy the style info
to the .dot file?

And how do I hide all the standard styles?
--
Diane

DianePDavies wrote:
I have made a number of styles. I want to use these in different
documents - memos, reports etc. - so when I open a memo (in the
company format) and start to type, I would like to link to my styles.
Then I also only want to see these styles.

How is that done?

I hope it is not something with templates in all the different
documents (the memo, the report etc.). I want the styles to be an
external thing - when updated it is available in all my documents.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Use the style organizer to move styles between documents/templates. ALT+F8 -
Organizer _ styles
The display of styles is set from the styles task pane - depending on Word
version there is a variety of style display options.

DianePDavies wrote:
I have made a number of styles. I want to use these in different
documents - memos, reports etc. - so when I open a memo (in the
company format) and start to type, I would like to link to my
styles. Then I also only want to see these styles.

How is that done?

I hope it is not something with templates in all the different
documents (the memo, the report etc.). I want the styles to be an
external thing - when updated it is available in all my documents.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gr8auntieokie gr8auntieokie is offline

May I suggest that you create a new Quick Style set containing your new styles?
1. Open the document containing the styles you created and make sure each
style appears in the Quick Styles window (Home tab/Styles group). If they
don't, add them to it.
2. Open the Style Manager window/Recommended tab, and Hide all styles EXCEPT
the new styles you created. (Click on the style(s), then click on the Hide
button; the words "always hidden" will then appear next to the style name).
Click OK to close the Style Manager.
3. In the Styles window, right-click on each new style and click on "Add to
Quick Style Gallery" to make sure the new styles you created---and ONLY those
styles---appear in the Quick Styles window.
4. Click on the Change Styles button (in our office, we call it the
"American Airlines" button because it looks like the AA logo), hover on
"Style Set," then slide the cursor down to the bottom of the window that
opens and select "Save as Quick Style Set." Give the style set a name (like
"my styles") and click OK. Those styles are now saved in a Quick Style set
called "my styles."

Then whenever you want to use those styles in a document, click on the AA
button, hover on Style Set, and select your "my styles" Quick Style set.
Those styles will be added to whatever styles are already in your document
and you can apply them as needed.

Cyndie Browning
Tulsa, OK

"DianePDavies" wrote:

I have made a number of styles. I want to use these in different documents -
memos, reports etc. - so when I open a memo (in the company format) and start
to type, I would like to link to my styles. Then I also only want to see
these styles.

How is that done?

I hope it is not something with templates in all the different documents
(the memo, the report etc.). I want the styles to be an external thing - when
updated it is available in all my documents.
--
Diane

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DianePDavies DianePDavies is offline

This sounds very promising - but somehow I cant figure out how to do it.

I am using Word2003, and I dont know how to open the Quick Styles window -
what do you mean by "Home tab/Styles group"?

And in what I think is the Styles window (Format - Styles and formatting) I
cant right-click and do what you suggest... and I dont have an AA-button....

Can you help me out?
--
Diane

"DianePDavies" wrote:

I have made a number of styles. I want to use these in different documents -
memos, reports etc. - so when I open a memo (in the company format) and start
to type, I would like to link to my styles. Then I also only want to see
these styles.

How is that done?

I hope it is not something with templates in all the different documents
(the memo, the report etc.). I want the styles to be an external thing - when
updated it is available in all my documents.
--
Diane

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gr8auntieokie gr8auntieokie is offline

I'm sorry, Diane..... I thought you were using Word 2007. (You'll learn about
the Home tab/Styles group/Quick Styles when you get to Word 2007.)

Since you have Word 2003, I suggest that you save the document with all your
custom styles as a template.
(1) Make sure your custom styles ALL have unique names (e.g., Fred, Wilma,
Betty, Barney, or whatever) that are not like the Word default styles (Body
Text, Body Text First Indent, Heading 1, etc.), so that whenever you use your
unique styles, Word's default styles won't override them.
(2) Delete from the template all styles EXCEPT your uniquely-named custom
styles.

Then, whenever you want to use those styles in a document, use the Style
Gallery to add the styles to your document. Click on Format/Theme/Style
Gallery, and double-click on the template that contains your unique styles.
Those styles AND ONLY THOSE STYLES will be inserted into the document you're
working in and then you can use them. Does that make sense?

Cyndie Browning
Tulsa, OK