dunnem91

Default What does "Directory Name is Not Valid" mean when opening a doc?

I am trying to open a previusly saved document. It won't let me, saying
"Directory Name is Not Valid." What are my options?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: What does "Directory Name is Not Valid" mean when opening a doc?

"Directory Name is Not Valid" error message usually appears when the file path of the document you are trying to open is incorrect or the file has been moved or deleted. Here are some options you can try to resolve this issue:
  1. Check the file path: Make sure that the file path of the document you are trying to open is correct. If you have moved the file to a different location, you will need to update the file path accordingly.
  2. Search for the file: If you are not sure where the file is located, you can use the Windows search function to locate it. Click on the Windows Start button and type in the name of the file in the search bar. Windows will search for the file and show you the location where it is saved.
  3. Recover the file: If the file has been accidentally deleted, you can try to recover it from the Recycle Bin. Open the Recycle Bin and look for the file. If you find it, right-click on it and select "Restore" to recover the file.
  4. Try opening the file in a different program: If you are still unable to open the file in Microsoft Word, try opening it in a different program such as Notepad or WordPad. This will help you determine if the issue is with the file or with Microsoft Word.
  5. Repair Microsoft Word: If the issue is with Microsoft Word, you can try repairing the program. Go to the Control Panel and select "Programs and Features". Find Microsoft Word in the list of programs and select "Repair". Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the repair process.

I hope these options help you resolve the issue and open your document successfully.
__________________
Anne Troy

What is the name of the file? What is the name of the directory in which the
file is stored?
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"dunnem91" wrote in message
I am trying to open a previusly saved document. It won't let me, saying
"Directory Name is Not Valid." What are my options?

Graham Mayor

How to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm