Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dan400man dan400man is offline

Default How to mark text so that it always shows on screen, but never prin

Using MS Word 2002 SP3 on WindowsXP SP2 and wondering if it's possible to
mark text so that it always shows on the display, but never prints? The goal
is to provide instructions to anyone editing the document. These
instructions never need to print. Currently, I have this text marked as
hidden, which I did by selecting the text, and clicking Format, Font, then
selecting the Hidden check box.

By default, the option to print hidden text is turned off, and I would be
happy to rely on that to keep the hidden text from printing.

I don't want to have to depend on the user editing the document to have to
know to press the Show/Hide button, which Word's documentation says to use to
hide/unhide "hidden" text. What is interesting as I am trying to work
through this is that the "hidden" text is _always_ showing, whether or not
the Show/Hide button is used. Print Preview shows that the text is indeed
hidden. So, is this a bug or an undocumented feature? Oh wait, it looks
like there is another option under the View tab, under Formatting marks; if
the "Hidden text" box is checked, hidden text will always display for me. I
believe this is a user setting, and not a document setting, and IIRC, I
probably changed the default where that box was not checked so that it is
checked.

An alternative?: Is there a way to have a balloon appear if the user floats
the cursor anywhere in the Table of Contents, and be able to specify the text
in that balloon?

TIA,
Dan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Dan,

Well, there is the "Comment" feature. But as I recall it's a bit "unstable" in
Word 2002 (doesn't necessarily show the text when you hover).

Best I can suggest would be a macro in the document/template that on open
- gets the user setting for "hidden" options and saves them
- makes the settings you need
And on closing restores the user's original settings

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dan400man dan400man is offline

Default How to mark text so that it always shows on screen, but never

Hi Cindy,

Thank you for your suggestion! I am almost clueless when it comes to
developing Office macros, so while your suggestion *sounds* good, I am not
clear on how to accomplish. I imagine the two "actions" I need to cover are
on the open of the document and the close of it. As far as how to store
current settings in variables, and how those settings are accessed (what
they're called and how are they placed into and restored from a variable), I
have no idea.

If you could provide a source of information that would enable me accomplish
this task, I would greatly appreciate that!

Thanks again!
Dan

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?ZGFuNDAwbWFu?=,

I am almost clueless when it comes to
developing Office macros, so while your suggestion *sounds* good, I am not
clear on how to accomplish. I imagine the two "actions" I need to cover are
on the open of the document and the close of it. As far as how to store
current settings in variables, and how those settings are accessed (what
they're called and how are they placed into and restored from a variable), I
have no idea.

If you could provide a source of information that would enable me accomplish
this task, I would greatly appreciate that!

Here's some sample code. It should execute automatically when the document in
which it is placed is opened / closed. Or, it could be put in a template to
which the document is attached.

Sub AutoOpen()
Dim doc As Word.Document
Dim vw As Word.View

Set doc = ActiveDocument
Set vw = doc.ActiveWindow.View
doc.Variables("ShowHidden") = vw.ShowHiddenText
doc.Variables("PrintHidden") = Options.PrintHiddenText
vw.ShowHiddenText = True
Options.PrintHiddenText = False
End Sub

Sub AutoClose()