Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David F David F is offline

Default Table of Contents

Every time I make a TOC it appears to be formatted the way WORD wants to.
Whenever I format it the way I want it to look (different font size/style)
it changes back when I Update the information.

How do I get the formatting to stay static while updating the table?
--
David F
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The easiest way to change the TOC styles in Word 2007 is to make use of the
Manage Styles dialog box. In the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), click the
Manage Styles button. On the Edit tab of the dialog box, locate each of the
styles, and click Modify. In the Modify Style dialog box, use the Format
button to change specific settings; when you are done, click OK to return to
the Modify Style dialog box. To transfer the settings to the attached
template, choose "New documents based on this template" before clicking OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter A" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
says...
Every time I make a TOC it appears to be formatted the way WORD wants to.
Whenever I format it the way I want it to look (different font
size/style)
it changes back when I Update the information.

How do I get the formatting to stay static while updating the table?

Word automatically applies TOC styles to elements in a TOC: style TOC 1
for the top-level TOC entries, TOC 2 for the 2nd level, etc. WHen you
manually format the TOC and then regenerate it, the old TOC with your
manual changes is erased and a new TOC is created using these styles.
You need to modify these styles to get the formatting you want rather
than applying it manually.

1) Cursor in the TOC.
2) InsertCross ReferenceIndex and Tables.
3) Table of Contents tab.
4) Make sure From Template is selected in the Formats list.
5) Click Modify.
6) Select TOC style to modify.
7) Click Modify and make changes as you would for any paragraph style.

This is for Word 2003 - I am sure 07 has the equivalent functionality.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John MacFarlane John MacFarlane is offline

I followed the recommendations by Stefan, but it did not work. My styles were
already set to Times New Roman. However, the TOC font still wants to go to
calibri when I update the TOC. I am using Vista.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The easiest way to change the TOC styles in Word 2007 is to make use of the
Manage Styles dialog box. In the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), click the
Manage Styles button. On the Edit tab of the dialog box, locate each of the
styles, and click Modify. In the Modify Style dialog box, use the Format
button to change specific settings; when you are done, click OK to return to
the Modify Style dialog box. To transfer the settings to the attached
template, choose "New documents based on this template" before clicking OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter A" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
says...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note that if you added direct formatting to your headings (as opposed to
modifying the heading *styles*), that will be reflected in the table of
contents.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John MacFarlane" John wrote in
message ...

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The easiest way to change the TOC styles in Word 2007 is to make use of
the
Manage Styles dialog box. In the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), click
the
Manage Styles button. On the Edit tab of the dialog box, locate each of
the
styles, and click Modify. In the Modify Style dialog box, use the Format
button to change specific settings; when you are done, click OK to return
the Modify Style dialog box. To transfer the settings to the attached
template, choose "New documents based on this template" before clicking
OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter A" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
says...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John MacFarlane[_2_] John MacFarlane[_2_] is offline

Well, they are all based on Normal and everything is set to Times New Roman.
I tried the CTRL+spacebar, but that just caused my formatting to go away. I
did add direct formatting to my headings, but I still don't understand. I
have read alot of post and FAQs and tried all the fixes, but to no avail.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The easiest way to change the TOC styles in Word 2007 is to make use of
the
Manage Styles dialog box. In the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), click
the
Manage Styles button. On the Edit tab of the dialog box, locate each of
the
styles, and click Modify. In the Modify Style dialog box, use the Format
button to change specific settings; when you are done, click OK to return
the Modify Style dialog box. To transfer the settings to the attached
template, choose "New documents based on this template" before clicking
OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter A" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
says...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you were inspecting your styles, did you inspect the Heading
styles or the TOC styles? In order to see the latter, you probably
have to choose "Show All Styles" from the Options button inside the
Styles pane. Whatever is in the TOC styles, not what's in the Heading
styles themselves, is what you'll get in your TOC.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The easiest way to change the TOC styles in Word 2007 is to make use of
the
Manage Styles dialog box. In the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), click
the
Manage Styles button. On the Edit tab of the dialog box, locate each of
the
styles, and click Modify. In the Modify Style dialog box, use the Format
button to change specific settings; when you are done, click OK to return
the Modify Style dialog box. To transfer the settings to the attached
template, choose "New documents based on this template" before clicking
OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter A" wrote in message
. com...
In article ,
says...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you added direct formatting to your headings, then it's going to show up
in the TOC. Modify the heading styles instead.

http://word.mvps.org

"John MacFarlane" wrote in
message ...

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]