Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ebishop ebishop is offline

Default TOC - unwanted text

When I generate my TOC it throws in the whole paragraph and not just the
heading. I've read I need to change the style but don't quite understand that
part. thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Every paragraph in a document has a style, such as Normal, or Heading 1.

The TOC includes all paragraphs with specific styles. The "extra" text
you're seeing may have a Heading 1 or Heading 2 style applied by mistake.

It can have a heading style applied but still look right if someone applies
manual formatting to change the look.

Make sure the "bad" heading is in a separate paragraph of its own. You have
to show the nonprinting characters to see that paragraph marks. Make sure the
"extra" text paragraphs don't have a Heading style applied to them. Select
the paragraphs and apply a different style if you need to. Use the Style list
to do that.

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

On Jun 20, 4:05 pm, Bear (nospam) wrote:
Every paragraph in a document has a style, such as Normal, or Heading 1.

The TOC includes all paragraphs with specific styles. The "extra" text
you're seeing may have a Heading 1 or Heading 2 style applied by mistake.

It can have a heading style applied but still look right if someone applies
manual formatting to change the look.

Make sure the "bad" heading is in a separate paragraph of its own. You have
to show the nonprinting characters to see that paragraph marks. Make sure the
"extra" text paragraphs don't have a Heading style applied to them. Select
the paragraphs and apply a different style if you need to. Use the Style list
to do that.

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

I had that problem. My issue turned out to be a checkbox: with the
TOC dialog open, click Options, uncheck "Outline Levels", click OK,
and see if that changes anything.

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ebishop ebishop is offline

I see -- I moved the 'extra text' to a new paragraph and it worked. But is
there a way I can have the heading of that paragraph AND the 'extra text' all
in the same paragraph, and generate a TOC? Someone told me there is a break
(or something) I can put in between the heading of the paragraph that I want
in the TOC and the 'extra text' -- but not sure about that. If not separate
paragraphs will work -- THANKS for the info.

"Bear" wrote:

Every paragraph in a document has a style, such as Normal, or Heading 1.

The TOC includes all paragraphs with specific styles. The "extra" text
you're seeing may have a Heading 1 or Heading 2 style applied by mistake.

It can have a heading style applied but still look right if someone applies
manual formatting to change the look.

Make sure the "bad" heading is in a separate paragraph of its own. You have
to show the nonprinting characters to see that paragraph marks. Make sure the
"extra" text paragraphs don't have a Heading style applied to them. Select
the paragraphs and apply a different style if you need to. Use the Style list
to do that.

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Ed:

I see. Like for a run-in heading where you want the heading in the TOC, but
not the attached material.

EXAMPLE: The work "example" should be in the TOC, but not this material.

Yes, you can do this.

To do this in Word 2000 you start by putting the heading and the text in two
separate paragraphs. The heading is in a paragraph style you know will appear
in the TOC. Then you select the paragraph mark (you have to show your
nonprinting characters to see the paragraph mark) and use Format Font
Hidden to set that paragraph mark as hidden.

When you turn off the nonprinting characters, the two paragraphs become one,
but the heading still appears alone in the TOC.

In later versions of Word there's a style separator mark that does the same
thing -- it lets you have two different paragraph styles in one paragraph. I
don't know where you find that mark, never having used later versions than
2000 extensively, but maybe someone else can help out with that.

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000