Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jammer287 jammer287 is offline

Default I cant get the space bar to move my text forward.

I am trying to move text on a line forward at the beginning of the sentence
using the space bar, but when I press the space bar the text won't move.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: I cant get the space bar to move my text forward.

Hey there! I'd be happy to help you with this issue.

It sounds like you're trying to use the space bar to indent your text, but it's not working. Here are a few things you can try:
  1. Make sure you're not in a table: If you're trying to indent text in a table, the space bar won't work. Instead, you'll need to use the tab key to create an indent.
  2. Check your paragraph settings: If the space bar isn't working, it's possible that your paragraph settings are preventing it from working. To check your paragraph settings, click on the "Home" tab in the ribbon, and then click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the "Paragraph" section. This will open the "Paragraph" dialog box. Make sure that the "Special" drop-down menu is set to "None" and that the "Indentation" settings are set to "0" for both the "Left" and "Right" options.
  3. Try using the tab key: If the space bar still isn't working, try using the tab key instead. Simply place your cursor at the beginning of the line you want to indent, and then press the tab key. This should create an indent for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can do to assist you.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You could use a tab or a first-line indent, but I don't know why the
spacebar wouldn't work as well. Note, however, that if you are trying to add
space at the beginning of a line in the middle of a paragraph (rather than
at the beginning), all the spaces you're inserting are piling up at the end
of the previous line (as you'll see if you display nonprinting characters).
In order to insert space the way you're trying to do it, you would need to
add a line break at the end of the previous line or enable the Compatibility
Option to "Wrap trailing spaces to the next line."

"jammer287" wrote in message
I am trying to move text on a line forward at the beginning of the sentence
using the space bar, but when I press the space bar the text won't move.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To "move the text forward," move the upper triangle at the left end of
the horizontal ruler seen at the top of the document window.

Or type a Tab.

If you want to begin each paragraph with a first-line indent, then
Format the Paragraph accordingly, or, better, Modify the Style you are
using.