czrunner

Default How can I copy all Word2003 comments into separate document?

I would like to copy all comments from an MS Word2003 document into a
separate document. It was easy to select all comments in the Comments pane
in Word2000, and then copy and paste them anywhere. In Word2003, I am able
to copy only one comment at a time from the Reviewing Pane. Please help!
Shauna Kelly

Hi Czrunner

1. First, some preliminaries. Do File Print. At the top of that dialog, in
the Name list, do you have "Generic / Text Only" as an option? If so, then
continue. If not, then do Start Settings Printers and Faxes (or similar
commands, depending on your version of Windows). Choose to Add a printer.
When you get to the list of manufacturers, find Generic, and choose the
"Generic / Text only" printer.

2. If you have Word 2000 or before, choose File Print. In the "Print what"
box, choose Comments. If you have Word 2002 or later and you only want
comments, and your document also holds track changes, then do the following.
File Save As to make a copy of the document. Using the copy, accept all
the tracked changes (which will retain the comments). Then, File Print. In
the "Print What" box, choose "List of markup".

3. You're at the Print dialog, right? At the top of that dialog, in the Name
drop-down list, choose Generic / Text Only. Tick "Print to file" and click
OK. Word will now ask you for a file name, and it will then "print" the
comments to a new document with the file name you chose. It's a good idea to
use a .doc extension (eg "MyComments.doc"). You can then open the file it
created and edit it like any Word document.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"czrunner" wrote in message
I would like to copy all comments from an MS Word2003 document into a
separate document. It was easy to select all comments in the Comments
pane
in Word2000, and then copy and paste them anywhere. In Word2003, I am
able
to copy only one comment at a time from the Reviewing Pane. Please help!

czrunner

Thank you, Shauna. That worked fine. I appreciate your help. I just wonder
if there isn't an easier way of just displaying the comments in such a way
that they can be directly copied, just like in Word2000 or the previous
versions of Word.
Thanks,
Marie

"czrunner" wrote in message
I would like to copy all comments from an MS Word2003 document into a
separate document. It was easy to select all comments in the Comments
pane
in Word2000, and then copy and paste them anywhere. In Word2003, I am
able
to copy only one comment at a time from the Reviewing Pane. Please help!

Shauna Kelly

Hi Marie

There is no way to just copy and paste that I'm aware of.

"czrunner" wrote in message
I would like to copy all comments from an MS Word2003 document into a
separate document. It was easy to select all comments in the Comments
pane
in Word2000, and then copy and paste them anywhere. In Word2003, I am
able
to copy only one comment at a time from the Reviewing Pane. Please
help!

how to copy all comments in one word document, paste into another. Shawn Microsoft Word Help 2 May 12th 23 08:52 AM
Comments as tool tips in Word 2003 Ann Scharpf Microsoft Word Help 1 April 23rd 05 09:30 AM
copy and paste Penny Microsoft Word Help 2 March 4th 05 04:57 PM
Comments in the Margin? Lem New Users 2 January 21st 05 07:29 PM
MacOSX user: do i need2uninstall Word98 before i can run Word2003 CambridgeInstallationDummy Microsoft Word Help 1 January 12th 05 07:32 PM