Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
sccatholic sccatholic is offline

Default How to set up label/mail merge to print vertically?

I have set up a merge document for labels for a bulk mailing. My labels must
be listed in order by zip codes for easier mail sorting. New Avery labels
are set up to tear the sheet into 3 columns and easily peel off each label.
Problem is that my label set up only wants to print in rows - horizontally
not in columns (vertically). How do I reconfigure the set up to arrange the
label information to list and print vertically?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This is not possible from Word, however fellow MVP Doug Robbins posted the
following workarounds recently:

If the data is in Access, the label wizard in Access can do it that way.

If the data source is a Word document, the following macro will sort the
data so that the labels print that way.

' Macro to assign numbers to data source so that it can be sorted to cause
labels to print down columns
Dim Message, Title, Default, labelrows, labelcolumns, i As Integer, j As
Integer, k As Integer
Message = "Enter the number of labels in a row" ' Set prompt.
Title = "Labels per Row" ' Set title.
Default = "3" ' Set default.
' Display message, title, and default value.
labelcolumns = InputBox(Message, Title, Default)
Message = "Enter the number of labels in a column" ' Set prompt.
Title = "Labels per column" ' Set title.
Default = "5" ' Set default.
labelrows = InputBox(Message, Title, Default)
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns.Add
BeforeColumn:=ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns(1)
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows(1).Range.Cut
k = 1
For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows.Count - labelcolumns
For j = 1 To labelrows
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Cell(i, 1).Range.InsertBefore k + (j - 1) *
labelcolumns
i = i + 1
Next j
k = k + 1
i = i - 1
If k Mod labelcolumns = 1 Then k = k - labelcolumns + labelcolumns *
labelrows
Next i
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Sort FieldNumber:="Column 1"
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows(1).Select
Selection.Paste
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns(1).Delete

If the data source is not in Word, you can use a Catalog or Directory type
mail merge to get the data into a Word document so that the above macro can
be used.