Blin

Default my hyperlinks don't work in Word 2003 when i open the file again

I have hyperlinks to other files set up in a Word 2003 document. This is a
training document for new employees. The files, including the How-To
document, are in the same directory. But everytime I open the How To
document and CTRL click on the hyperlink, I get a message that says the file
cannot be opened.
I edit the hyperlink, go to the correct file, save and close the document,
open it again and get the same problem.

Blin

I'm not sure what a document management system is exactly. The file name of
the actual document does not contain a % sign but when you edit the hyperlink
and look at the document name, there is one inserted in one or more places by
the computer followed by the number 20.
The documents I am linking to are on a server in a public folder, while the
original document is in my personal folder on another part of the server.

"Blin" wrote:

I have hyperlinks to other files set up in a Word 2003 document. This is a
training document for new employees. The files, including the How-To
document, are in the same directory. But everytime I open the How To
document and CTRL click on the hyperlink, I get a message that says the file
cannot be opened.
I edit the hyperlink, go to the correct file, save and close the document,
open it again and get the same problem.

Mr HAL

Not sure if this will help, but I had a similar problem, and found the
following to work:

File Save As
Tools
Web Options
Files
Untoggle Update Links on Save

This stops Word from changing the links.
Hope this help.

"Blin" wrote:

I have hyperlinks to other files set up in a Word 2003 document. This is a
training document for new employees. The files, including the How-To
document, are in the same directory. But everytime I open the How To
document and CTRL click on the hyperlink, I get a message that says the file
cannot be opened.
I edit the hyperlink, go to the correct file, save and close the document,
open it again and get the same problem.

Neti

I had the same problem unless I pressed ctrl and clicked the link it was not
working.

But it was rectified by the following tip from ms word help:

By default, users follow€” or open€” hyperlinks (hyperlink: Colored and
underlined text or a graphic that you click to go to a file, a location in a
file, a Web page on the World Wide Web, or a Web page on an intranet.
Hyperlinks can also go to newsgroups and to Gopher, Telnet, and FTP sites.)
by pressing CTRL while clicking the hyperlink. If you prefer, you can follow
hyperlinks by just clicking them.

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Edit tab.
Clear the Use CTRL+ Click to follow hyperlink check box.

Hope this might be helpful