Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
eklipze8 eklipze8 is offline

Default HELP! Print outside printable area

I have a teacher who requires us to manually set our margins like his, but
when I did this, it wont let me print! It keeps giving me the "margins are
set outside the printable area" or something like that. Ive tried everything
I can think of,and I HAVE to have this paper soon! Help please!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RobertVA RobertVA is offline

eklipze8 wrote:
I have a teacher who requires us to manually set our margins like his, but
when I did this, it wont let me print! It keeps giving me the "margins are
set outside the printable area" or something like that. Ive tried everything
I can think of,and I HAVE to have this paper soon! Help please!

WELL, IF the printer won't print in that area, just WHAT do you expect
us to do about it? Some printers NEED margins on the sides or bottom to
hold the paper in place while the print head is making the last pass
across the paper. Sometimes this is as much a 5/16 inch on the sides or
7/8 inch at the bottom.

You don't indicate what margins the instructor is insisting on. Have you
asked the instructor if a SLIGHT decrease in font size to permit the
same number of lines and same number of characters per line in a
slightly smaller space on the paper would be acceptable?

You don't indicate what margins your printer's specifications cover.

You don't even indicate what model and make printer you are using.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
eklipze8 eklipze8 is offline

Wow...you dont have to be so rude. I didnt know I needed the specific margin
and printer info. I thought maybe it was a problem that could just be fixed
by going and changing some sort of settings. My printer is a Lexmark 5400. As
for the margins...he didnt give us a specific #. He made a sample paper
online and we had to look at it and manually adjust the margins. I'm not sure
if this is what you are looking for, but when I go to the margins setting, it
says: Top: 0.5", Bottom:0.5", Left:1.25", Right:1.25". gutter:0,
header:0.5", footer: 0.5". We arent'allowed to hange font. It has to be 12
pt font and either times new roman or aerial. Well theres all the info...can
you help me now please?

"RobertVA" wrote:

eklipze8 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RobertVA RobertVA is offline

You read to much into my reply.

Nobody can help you with the lack of information in your first post. It
says little beyond "My instructor is demanding I print where my printer
can't".

Now someone familiar with the Lexmark 5400's margin abilities can tell
you if 0.5" top and bottom with 1.25 both sides is within it's
capabilities. I have had some printers, made by an other manufacturer,
that would have had problems with that bottom margin. My newest printer,
also made by another manufacturer, can print all the way to the edges
(to be able to make borderless photo prints).

It's entirely possible you will need to make some choices:

* Compose your document and transfer it to a computer equipped with a
printer able to print to the margins your instructor is so stubborn
about. You may be able to accomplish that at a school computer lab. In
order to serve traveling businessmen, some copy shops have printer
equipped computers you can purchase small amounts of time to use.

* Convince your instructor to allow you to shift a little margin from
one edge to the opposite edge. There's little probability those side
margins are causing the problem. The 0.5" margin at the bottom might be
a bit small, probably by only a few tenths of an inch.

* Print on 8.50" X 14.0" (legal size) paper with a 3.50" bottom margin.
Trim 3.0" from the bottom of the sheet.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

When you get that message there should be a button labeled "OK" or "Ignore"
or some such - wording depends on your version of Word/Windows/Print Driver.
Whatever it says, Click it. The margin settings will be allowed in the doc,
but if you try to print on a printer that can't handle it text will be cut
off. As long as it's printed by a printer that can observe the margin
settings it should print OK.

Another possibility is to find out what type of printer *does* permit those
margin settings, install that driver & select it as the printer for that doc
before setting the margins. (And, No, you don't need to have the printer
just to use its driver:-))

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 9/8/07 5:20 PM, in article
, "eklipze8"
wrote:

I have a teacher who requires us to manually set our margins like his, but
when I did this, it wont let me print! It keeps giving me the "margins are
set outside the printable area" or something like that. Ive tried everything
I can think of,and I HAVE to have this paper soon! Help please!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rob Giordano \(Crash\) Rob Giordano \(Crash\) is offline

http://www.lexmark.com/publications/...400/eng/ug.pdf
PAGE 98

--

Rob Giordano
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

"eklipze8" wrote in message
| Wow...you dont have to be so rude. I didnt know I needed the specific
margin
| and printer info. I thought maybe it was a problem that could just be
fixed
| by going and changing some sort of settings. My printer is a Lexmark 5400.
As
| for the margins...he didnt give us a specific #. He made a sample paper
| online and we had to look at it and manually adjust the margins. I'm not
sure
| if this is what you are looking for, but when I go to the margins setting,
it
| says: Top: 0.5", Bottom:0.5", Left:1.25", Right:1.25". gutter:0,
| header:0.5", footer: 0.5". We arent'allowed to hange font. It has to be
12
| pt font and either times new roman or aerial. Well theres all the
info...can
| you help me now please?
|
| "RobertVA" wrote:
|
| eklipze8 wrote:
| I have a teacher who requires us to manually set our margins like his,
but
| when I did this, it wont let me print! It keeps giving me the "margins
are
| set outside the printable area" or something like that. Ive tried
everything
| I can think of,and I HAVE to have this paper soon! Help please!
|
| WELL, IF the printer won't print in that area, just WHAT do you expect
| us to do about it? Some printers NEED margins on the sides or bottom to
| hold the paper in place while the print head is making the last pass
| across the paper. Sometimes this is as much a 5/16 inch on the sides or
| 7/8 inch at the bottom.
|
| You don't indicate what margins the instructor is insisting on. Have you
| asked the instructor if a SLIGHT decrease in font size to permit the
| same number of lines and same number of characters per line in a
| slightly smaller space on the paper would be acceptable?
|
| You don't indicate what margins your printer's specifications cover.
|
| You don't even indicate what model and make printer you are using.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Good Goin', Rob - I spent about 10-15 mins. on the Lexmark support site
trying to find something like this & couldn't even find enough info to
convince myself that there *is* a model 5400:-) Must not be US market, huh?

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 9/9/07 1:39 PM, in article , "Rob
Giordano (Crash)" wrote:

http://www.lexmark.com/publications/...400/eng/ug.pdf
PAGE 98

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rob Giordano \(Crash\) Rob Giordano \(Crash\) is offline

Thanks...it was NOT easy to find.

(I have an old Lexmark that I love and have spent hours trying to find parts
for...I'm getting close! :-)

--

Rob Giordano
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
.. .
| Good Goin', Rob - I spent about 10-15 mins. on the Lexmark support site
| trying to find something like this & couldn't even find enough info to
| convince myself that there *is* a model 5400:-) Must not be US market,
huh?

| Regards |:)
| Bob Jones
| [MVP] Office:Mac
|

| On 9/9/07 1:39 PM, in article , "Rob
| Giordano (Crash)" wrote:

http://www.lexmark.com/publications/...400/eng/ug.pdf
| PAGE 98

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mary Sauer Mary Sauer is offline

Have you tried looking for parts at:
www.fixyourownprinter.com

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"Rob Giordano (Crash)" wrote in message
Thanks...it was NOT easy to find.

(I have an old Lexmark that I love and have spent hours trying to find parts
for...I'm getting close! :-)

--

Rob Giordano
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
.. .
| Good Goin', Rob - I spent about 10-15 mins. on the Lexmark support site
| trying to find something like this & couldn't even find enough info to
| convince myself that there *is* a model 5400:-) Must not be US market,
huh?

| Regards |:)
| Bob Jones
| [MVP] Office:Mac
|

| On 9/9/07 1:39 PM, in article , "Rob
| Giordano (Crash)" wrote:

http://www.lexmark.com/publications/...400/eng/ug.pdf
| PAGE 98

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I'll second Mary's recommendation of www.fixyourownprinter.com. I got a
replacement part for my LJ 4100 and now wish I'd known enough to do the same
for the LJ 4 (if I had, we might still be using it). I mentioned this to one
of our librarians, and she said their IT person had made the same
recommendation, and they'd fixed one of the library printers using parts
from www.fixyourownprinter.com.

"Rob Giordano (Crash)" wrote in message
Thanks...it was NOT easy to find.

(I have an old Lexmark that I love and have spent hours trying to find

parts
for...I'm getting close! :-)

--

Rob Giordano
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
.. .
| Good Goin', Rob - I spent about 10-15 mins. on the Lexmark support

site
| trying to find something like this & couldn't even find enough info to
| convince myself that there *is* a model 5400:-) Must not be US market,
huh?

| Regards |:)
| Bob Jones
| [MVP] Office:Mac
|

| On 9/9/07 1:39 PM, in article ,

"Rob
| Giordano (Crash)" wrote:

http://www.lexmark.com/publications/...400/eng/ug.pdf
| PAGE 98

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rob Giordano \(Crash\) Rob Giordano \(Crash\) is offline

ah cool thanks guys...I'll check it out!

--

Rob Giordano
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
| I'll second Mary's recommendation of www.fixyourownprinter.com. I got a
| replacement part for my LJ 4100 and now wish I'd known enough to do the
same
| for the LJ 4 (if I had, we might still be using it). I mentioned this to
one
| of our librarians, and she said their IT person had made the same
| recommendation, and they'd fixed one of the library printers using parts
| from www.fixyourownprinter.com.
|
| --
| Suzanne S. Barnhill
| Microsoft MVP (Word)
| Words into Type
| Fairhope, Alabama USA
| Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
| Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
| all may benefit.
|
| "Mary Sauer" wrote in message
| Have you tried looking for parts at:
| www.fixyourownprinter.com
|

| --
| Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
| http://office.microsoft.com/
| http://msauer.mvps.org/
|
| "Rob Giordano (Crash)" wrote in
message
| Thanks...it was NOT easy to find.
|
| (I have an old Lexmark that I love and have spent hours trying to find
| parts
| for...I'm getting close! :-)
|

| --
|
| Rob Giordano
| Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
|

| "CyberTaz" wrote in message
| .. .
| | Good Goin', Rob - I spent about 10-15 mins. on the Lexmark support
| site
| | trying to find something like this & couldn't even find enough info
| | convince myself that there *is* a model 5400:-) Must not be US
market,
| huh?
| |
| | Regards |:)