Big Sur Cowgirl

Default The Normal.dot file is nowhere to be found on my machine, even af.

I am unable to find or open the Normal.dot file in Word 2003 Pro Edition. A
search on my computer, even with the settings set to show/search hidden files
and system files, etc., returns no results! Therefore, any changes I make to
the toolbars are never saved. Does anyone know where to go from here --
short of paying $35 for an email conversation with MS?

joepd

Nope, I have done the same things with my Word 2003 that Big Sur has done and
I am convinced that normal.dot must be hardcoded in 2003 and only presents if
you make significant changes.

Joepd

Big Sur Cowgirl wrote:
I am unable to find or open the Normal.dot file in Word 2003 Pro
Edition. A search on my computer, even with the settings set to
show/search hidden files and system files, etc., returns no results!
Therefore, any changes I make to the toolbars are never saved. Does
anyone know where to go from here -- short of paying $35 for an email
conversation with MS?

Joseph McGuire

I noticed this strange aspect of Word 2003, too. However, it appears that
when you search for it in W2003 you may be offered some search options
("Advanced") that include viewing hidden files, even though you already told
Word that you wanted to view such files.

Big Sur Cowgirl wrote:
I am unable to find or open the Normal.dot file in Word 2003 Pro
Edition. A search on my computer, even with the settings set to
show/search hidden files and system files, etc., returns no results!
Therefore, any changes I make to the toolbars are never saved. Does
anyone know where to go from here -- short of paying $35 for an email
conversation with MS?

Graham Mayor

The defaults for normal.dot are hard coded in the application, but Word will
create them as a file called normal.dot when it is run. Whether or not you
save that file is another matter, but the first time you use Word without
having saved that file, it will either do so automatically or prompt you to
save it depending on what option you have set in tools options save.
Occasionally add-ins can prevent normal.dot from saving - I believe the
Acrobat 7 add-in falls into this category.

Big Sur Cowgirl wrote:
I am unable to find or open the Normal.dot file in Word 2003 Pro
Edition. A search on my computer, even with the settings set to
show/search hidden files and system files, etc., returns no results!
Therefore, any changes I make to the toolbars are never saved. Does
anyone know where to go from here -- short of paying $35 for an
email conversation with MS?

Graham Mayor

This could be an indication that the data key in the registry is corrupt -
see http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm for a fix.

Big Sur Cowgirl wrote:
I am unable to find or open the Normal.dot file in Word 2003 Pro
Edition. A search on my computer, even with the settings set to
show/search hidden files and system files, etc., returns no results!
Therefore, any changes I make to the toolbars are never saved. Does
anyone know where to go from here -- short of paying $35 for an
email conversation with MS?

Charles Kenyon

I'd heard that Word 2003 does not save a normal.dot unless some modification
is made. I just tested this by renaming my normal.dot and restarting Word.
Even though I made no changes (and disabled my .dot Add-Ins) it still
prompted for saving normal.dot on exit. However, it did not create any file
(or even a lock file) in the user templates folder until I told it I wanted
to save the "changes."
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Big Sur Cowgirl wrote:
I am unable to find or open the Normal.dot file in Word 2003 Pro
Edition. A search on my computer, even with the settings set to
show/search hidden files and system files, etc., returns no results!
Therefore, any changes I make to the toolbars are never saved. Does
anyone know where to go from here -- short of paying $35 for an
email conversation with MS?

Graham Mayor

Perhaps my description of the mechanism only served to confuse the issue
here, but yes you are correct that normal.dot is only created if you agree
to that prompt, or you allow Word to make the decision to save normal.dot by
itself.

Big Sur Cowgirl wrote:
I am unable to find or open the Normal.dot file in Word 2003 Pro
Edition. A search on my computer, even with the settings set to
show/search hidden files and system files, etc., returns no
results! Therefore, any changes I make to the toolbars are never
saved. Does anyone know where to go from here -- short of paying
$35 for an
email conversation with MS?

Charles Kenyon

Hi Graham,

No confusion here, unless I created it. I was simply stating that I had seen
statements (not from regular posters or MVPs) that Word 2003 did not create
a new normal.dot unless some change was made to the defaults. I was
confirming that my test of my installation would create a new normal.dot
even if no changes were made.