Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Patrick is offline

Default Creating a unique Numbering List in Word 2007

I am trying to create a numbering Sequence that is as follows:
1.1
1.2
1.2.1
1.2.2
1.2.3
1.3
etc.

I have tried to use the numbering library and the list library, but cannot
make it work.
Does anyone have some advice on how I can create this kind of numbered list.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Patrick is offline

When you ask where the first 1 is coming from, I don't understand your
question.
I will give you a little more info on what I need to do.

I have a document that will be divided into sections. I will have a list of
items that I want to be able to identify
I want the first number to relate to the section.
So, for the first section, I want the list to be:
1.1
1.2
1.3
etc.

For the second section, I want the numbering to be:
2.1
2.2
2.3
etc.

I am probably missing something easy, but in word, I cannot get the list to
make the first number not change.

Thanks for your help.

"Patrick" wrote in message
I am trying to create a numbering Sequence that is as follows:
1.1
1.2
1.2.1
1.2.2
1.2.3
1.3
etc.

I have tried to use the numbering library and the list library, but cannot
make it work.
Does anyone have some advice on how I can create this kind of numbered
list.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What I mean is that the 1 in, say, 1.2 represents something. You say this is
the first section. Ordinarily, you would have a higher-level style for, say,
Chapter 1 or Section 1. In that case, the first number in 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 is
coming from that style. It doesn't have to be 1; it can be I or One; if you
check the box for "Legal-style numbering" in the lower levels, the roman
numeral or cardinal text will be converted to a numeral. But you need
something to provide the 1 and something to restart the numbering.

You could set up a dummy style at Level 1 that's formatted as Hidden (or
that has the numbering formatted as Hidden), but you do need some
higher-level style. Then you have 1.1 at Level 2 and 1.1.1 at Level 3 as
usual.