Diggar

Default Number list

I write tests for my class on a regular basis and I number each questions.
They are multiple answer questions so there is the number for the question
then letters for each possible answer.
Ex:
1. What is a blah blah
A.
B.
C.

Sometimes I reuse the tests and change questions but then I have to renumber
everything by hand.

Is there a way in word to setup the numbers so that they automatically reset
if a question is deleted and automatically number as I create each question?

When I try this the auto numbering gets confused after I write the question
and need to put the answers.

Thanks

First of all, you need to set up outline numbering as described at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. You will
note that you need to link the numbering levels to styles. For this purpose
I would just use the built in List Number and List Number 2 styles (but you
could also define Question and Answer styles).

For ease in entering your questions and answers, make List Number 2 (Answer)
the following style for List Number (Question) and assign a keyboard
shortcut to List Number (Question). Or you can use Word's built-in shortcuts
to promote and demote outline levels. Alt+Shift+Left/Right Arrow will work
any time. You can also use Tab and Shift+Tab if you have enabled the
required option: in Word 2000 and earlier, this is "Tabs and backspace set
left indent" on the Edit tab of Tools | Options; in Word 2002 and 2003, it's
"Set left- and first-indent with tabs and backspaces" on the AutoFormat As
You Type tab of Tools | AutoCorrect Options.

Note that when you want to rearrange questions, you can do this more easily
in Outline view. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm