Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] shabad.chawla@gmail.com is offline

Default dotx template not showing up in "New Office Document" window?

Hi there,
This strikes me as being really strange!
We've got a folder on a server that holds our document templates for
the various Office applications. Until recently all the templates were
Office 2003 format (.dot), and I've been using the "New Office
Document" command from the start menu to bring up the window where I
can choose which template to use. This has worked fine, but the
templates themselves were getting slightly messed up. i.e., Word 2007
wasn't handling Word 2003 templates very well. Especially using bullets
on lines where there are tabs set etc.
So I decided to save a copy of the template as a Word 2007 dotx
template, and turned off compatibility mode on that template. The
behaviour within the template is now fine, but for some reason the new
dotx template (which i saved back onto the server) doesn't show up in
the New Office Document window... all my 2003 templates are there, but
no new dotx template. I've tried changing the file locations-workgroup
templates location away and back to see if that helps, but it doesn't
make a difference...Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

[...]

I believe the "New Office Document" command to which you refer has NOT
been "upscaled" for Office 2007. So it doesn't recognize the new file
formats. The command is probably a left-over from an Office 2003
installation.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org