Word text insert problem

Default insert text inside existing WORD text

I don't seem to be able to insert text inside the existing text without
erasing and typing over the existing text. I just want to be able to insert
some words into the document without upsetting the existing language.
What do I need to change?

Amedee Van Gasse

Word text insert problem shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

I don't seem to be able to insert text inside the existing text
without erasing and typing over the existing text. I just want to be
able to insert some words into the document without upsetting the
existing language. What do I need to change?

Press on the INSERT button on your keyboard and try again.
Does that work?

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1

Amedee Van Gasse

SVC shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

It sounds like you are set up to automatically Overtype.

Tools Options, select the Edit tab, uncheck Overtype mode, then
click OK

What is the difference between your and my answer? Isn't it both
exactly the same or am I missing something here?

--
Amedee Van Gasse

SVC

From my reading of the question, it sounded like the user was having the
problem regularly, in more than one document. My suggestion was meant to
change the way the user's template functions--so that he does not have the
problem when working in any document based on his template. Your solution
also achieves the desired effect, but only for the current document and/or
Word session.

If his current template is not set to automatically Overtype, then some
other action switched to Overtype mode, and your solution is absolutely
appropriate.

Susan Barnhill's reply also examines some of the differences between our
approaches.

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote:

SVC shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

It sounds like you are set up to automatically Overtype.

Tools Options, select the Edit tab, uncheck Overtype mode, then
click OK

What is the difference between your and my answer? Isn't it both
exactly the same or am I missing something here?

--
Amedee Van Gasse

You have fundamentally misunderstood the way Options settings work. They are
environmental; except for those that indicate that they are
document/template specific, they change the UI for all documents. So
checking or clearing the box in Tools | Options | View accomplishes
*exactly* the same thing as pressing Insert. You can try this for yourself.
Press Insert and look at the View | Options. Press it again and look again.
This will be true no matter what document you are in.

From my reading of the question, it sounded like the user was having the

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote:

SVC shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

It sounds like you are set up to automatically Overtype.

Tools Options, select the Edit tab, uncheck Overtype mode, then
click OK

What is the difference between your and my answer? Isn't it both
exactly the same or am I missing something here?

--
Amedee Van Gasse

Amedee Van Gasse

Suzanne S. Barnhill shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

Different strokes for different folks. To you and me, pressing Insert
seems easier, but to some users, clearing the check box makes the
process clearer. The same thing can be accomplished by
double-clicking OVR on the status bar.

I never knew what "OVR" means in the status bar. Never too old to learn!

--
Amedee Van Gasse