trapdoor trapdoor is offline
Junior Member

Default Problem with Covnverting Linked Excel Data to Text

I was wondering if your superior knowledge of word could help me out with a vexing problem:
I have a Word document with links to excel because I want the data to automatically update when I change the Excel sheet. That works fine. Then, once the info has been updated from the excel sheet to word, I want to take that info and make into unlinked text so I can email the word document to my boss without having to include the excel sheet. I know that you can copy the data that is linked to Excel, copy paste special paste as formatted text and just have the values of the data and not the link, but I want to do this for the entire Word document and not have to copypaste special each time because there are well over 100 links in the Word document. I've tried copypaste special but that doesn't break the links. I've tried to do this with Office X for OS X as well as Office 2008 for OS X. I'm going to try it on Windows tomorrow as well.
If any one has any insight, I would be very grateful.
Thanks,
John
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Well, you've posted to a Windows Word group but the answer is pretty much
the same*: Go to Edit Links, Shift-Click/Control-Click to select the links
you want to break then click the Break Link button.

In Word 2008 the process is just a little different: Right-Click one of the
Linked Objects & select Object Links, then follow the same procedure.

For future reference you'd do best to post Mac Word questions to:

microsoft.public.mac.office.word

or through the Forums link on Mactopia:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/default.mspx

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/25/09 10:33 PM, in article , "trapdoor"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In addition to what Bob says, if you want to unlink *all* the fields in a
WinWord document, you can Ctrl+A (Select All), then Ctrl+Shift+F9.
Presumably there is a comparable option for MacWord.

http://word.mvps.org

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Yes -- the equivalent in Mac Word is Shift+Command+F9. But that stroke
doesn't have any effect on OLE object links, it only unlinks Word fields
(incl. Hyperlinks).

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/26/09 9:16 AM, in article ,
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In addition to what Bob says, if you want to unlink *all* the fields in a
WinWord document, you can Ctrl+A (Select All), then Ctrl+Shift+F9.
Presumably there is a comparable option for MacWord.

trapdoor trapdoor is offline
Junior Member

Thanks everyone! Worked like a charm. However now I'm struggling with relinking all of the hyperlinks. I have a macro that works, but is deleting carriage returns. I will post a new thread about it.